Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your opinion on plain packaging for cigarettes?
Undreamt Wrote:the only thing that plain packets do it confuse the checkout staff.
Cost is a bigger issue

Oh and making them illegal does nothing, it just means the government doesn't get tax from them and there are dangers when you take out the quality control from them

OK, except are you referring to the soaking of the tobacco leaves in extra addicting chemicals as the "quality control"?

And frankly, equating government regulation with "quality control" is rather problematic.

Just sayin' Wink

But seriously, I've just never understood why anybody smokes. There's nothing more disgusting than kissing a smoker. It costs a fortune. Cigarettes don't get you high. And you have to go outside in the cold to do it.

About the only positive thing I can see for smoking in this day and age is that you have an excuse to take extra breaks at work. But you have to take them outside in the cold with a smouldering paper tube stuffed with toxic leaves between your lips.

They don't get you high? Would you as a non-smoker please explain that?

Extra break's at work? Do you seriously believe that...Man, I bet you are from the same school that all those people that hate daylight saving because the extra hour of sunlight in the morning fades the curtains quicker?

southbiochem Wrote:i cannot wait for the day when fascism is implemented on tobacco.

hitler !!!

It's not "plain packaging" in my book. That would be like a plain brown package that was generic save for a generic name of the brand somewhere on it. What Australia has is more like "warning packaging."

Would it prevent someone from starting smoking? I doubt the packaging itself would, if anything it would make kids (both of age and younger) think it was that much cooler, it would become braver and rebellious all at once. And I recall when I was a kid my older cousin and other older kids were trying hard to get "Death Smokes" which was a black package with a skull on it and bold warning...and they were choosing it over their preferred brand!

Still, I do know plenty of kids start for an image...at least in part. My mom chose Virginia Slims as a teen because she wanted to be sophisticated like the women in the ads she saw (btw, many smokers refuse to touch those with a derogatory name for them, I've seen even homeless people bumming for cigarettes refuse them), my cousin was drawn to some "rugged" view of Marlboro (save when he replaced them with Death Smokes while they were available), and someone else I know chose a brand because it was her favorite color and suggested success and influence to her. But since they all came from homes where adults smoked it could've been that they were just plain likely to smoke anyway to assert their own adulthood and/or peer pressure.

As for making them illegal, that would probably just make it more popular. Prohibition usually does. Not only does it become more fashionable but then criminals begin aggressively expanding their market and that often includes kids who then find it easier to acquire in part because criminals want to get them hooked and also because kids no longer need ID nor do the police typically know where they're being bought (whereas with stores the cops will pull the occasional sting to see if adults will either sell items prohibited to kids or take an offer to buy smokes or alcohol for teens which helps prevent a lot of it). Still, I'm glad for the restrictions against advertising them and would like our government to stop funding tobacco farmers (which they do right along with "don't smoke" campaigns), too.

MisterTinkles Wrote:If ANY country TRULY wanted people to stop smoking, then they would just OUTLAW the sale of tobacco altogether.

This is nothing more than government bullshitting to get more money for programs that are not going to do any good for anyone, except those in power who need the money to fund their private agendas.

That worked real well with....

Alcohol (Prohibition)
Pot
LSD
Heroin
Cocaine
Absinth
Meth
Acid
Toads

Banning something, making it illegal will only send the people to the black market, and then the crime syndicate makes a killing.

It also worked real well with, ahem, homosexuality.

Quote:They don't get you high? Would you as a non-smoker please explain that?

Extra break's at work? Do you seriously believe that...Man, I bet you are from the same school that all those people that hate daylight saving because the extra hour of sunlight in the morning fades the curtains quicker?

Real mature to delete your account so I can't respond directly.

Okay, so when I was younger I tried some various forms of tobacco, and compared with every other substance I've ever tried (granted that's not many) I didn't feel a whole lot. I wasn't thinking, oh my gawd this feels awesome. I was thinking, well that sucked. So no, cigarettes don't exactly get you high. Maybe, maybe a mild rush. About as strong as a strong cup of coffee?

And extra breaks, they do fucking take them. Every place I've worked there's lazy smokers squeezing in extra breaks to feed their habit.

Personal attacks are for assholes. Leave my curtains out of it and good riddance, asshole.