Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do with STUBBORN friends
Sounds like a huge case of denial.

A lot of people with 'conditions' or 'problems' do this whole denial and knowing thing at the same time.

You have diabetes, wasn't there a period of time when you had to adjust to accepting the insulin, the diet the whatever you have to do to maintain yourself? Surely you know the hate of the medicine, the 'I just lost something here'.

I know with myself I deny a lot when it comes to medical 'issues' (shut up South, yes I know - chair in the shower - I heard you. Don't think about my getting up on the roofs to clean leaves) There is this whole 'I will get over this, things will go back to normal - I'm not that sick/in that much pain/at that much risk' there is a whole slew of things that go through the mind because one wants so badly to be 'normal' that they do everything in their power to delude themselves...

This 'I forgot' is not really forgetting, as others pointed out there are pill trays, there are alarms you can get if needed... no its not forgetting, this is intentionally forgetting, purposefully setting herself up to forget. Are their consequences, sure - will she learn from them - eventually, or she might die.

Is she going to admit to what is really keeping her from doing as doctor ordered... Most likely not - not until she hits a personal bottom, which I fear in this case may be actually death.

The alternative here is mental health therapy. Every damned doctor thrusts a diagnoses and throws pills at the body, few ever think about the impact that a physical medical condition has on the mind and heart. Your freind most likely needs a bit of therapy to come to terms with her condition.

Once she comes to accept that she has this condition she might actually start treatments and dosages and stick with the program.

Shakeskweer Wrote:[B] How did I know they did not have anorexia? Anorexics hide the fact, they did not.

that's not true. not every person with anorexia will hide it.
and if every anorexic person ever hid it all the time , then no one would ever recover from it.