Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What turns you off?
I get wicked turned off when someone says a false fact about someone and then yells "not."
I suppose it is more of a pet peeve then a turn off, but my pet peeves turn me off.

Clingyness and jealousy are my biggest turnoffs.

Wade Wrote:Nobody "needs" to do anything in order to please you or anyone else, and that includes not wearing tight bicycle shorts. That's your issue, not theirs. I'm glad to know that you've led a life that others can look up to as beacon of hope and what a truly perfect existence of restraint and responsibility can do. May you inspire all those you encounter to better themselves sir, and if you should fail, it clearly wouldn't be due to a lack of trying (though not too long ago "homosexual" would've fit nicely in that list of undesirables you included. Not that that has anything to do with the point I'm making... but I thought it was worth a mention).

Though my point was that some people should attempt empathy. Empathy is hard. It means trying to understand other people's plights even if you yourself have not struggled with such a matter. It's a good thing, I promise.

And you mentioned personal responsibility again, and I agree with you. It is about personal responsibility, particular the "personal" part. That means it's not about you. And if the only way you can evaluate the worth of your fellow human is by the drain on your wallet (the ol' "Gimme it it's mine" philosophy), then I do pity you sir. What a unfortunate way to live.

Though this has given me a great idea for a new superhero.... Personal Responsibility Man!

Mother: "Personal Responsibility Man, thank goodness you're here. My son is trapped in the well."

Personal Responsibility Man: "Then he shouldn't have been playing so close to it then, should he? And you should've been a more responsible parent and kept a closer watch on him. My job is done here. Up, up and away!"

Mother: "Oh Personal Responsibility Man, you're so smug and unhelpful! What a dick."

I simply will never understand why some adults enjoy being mean. And that's all this is. It perplexes me every time I see it in real life and on.... whatever all this is. Just adult bullies.

Well some people have to be mean and hurtful to others to feel better about themselves and their shortcomings. They have to feel that others are lower than them to lift themselves up out of the murk of their own lives. Its just another one of those "issues" that people have. It might not be as bad as being addicted to food or drugs or something like that but its still a very unattractive issue.

Evan Wrote:Clingyness and jealousy are my biggest turnoffs.

Kudos to you for this post in the middle of a heated discussion. Xyxthumbs

SolemnBoy Wrote:Look, saying that obesity isn't self-inflicted is wrong and stupid. That doesn't mean we shouldn't lend our empathy and resources to help those who are obese and suffering from health problems.

A drug addict is who he is due to a row of seriously stupid choices he's made. He could have been influenced by peer pressure or just the joy of temporarily easening the burden of an otherwise miserable life but it's still his fault. Telling him it's his fault and claiming that the nature of his problem (being self-inflicted) is undeserving of financial aid is horrible from a humane perspective.

A woman who got AIDS after years of unprotected promiscuity has nobody to blame but herself. Nonetheless, it would be downright cruel to deny her the empathy and medical aid she deserves to ease the pain of a life-shattering disease.

A person who's been abusing his body with excessive amounts of food for years has nobody but himself to blame for his obesity. Just like the aforementioned examples, however, the fact that his harm is self-inflicted is no argument to deny him assistance and understanding.

Just because you've got problems caused by your own bad decisions it doesn't mean you're less deserving of respect and funding if necessary for your health. What you're promiting seems to me to be heartless and inhumane even if I can agree with some of your previous statements about how wrong it is to blame one's obesity on other factors. Fat people need to somehow find the motivation to lose weight and aim for a healthier lifestyle. In my opinion it's not good to tell them to be satisfied with how they are, because it's unhealthy. On the other hand it's a great idea to tell them their value as human beings and the amount you care for them won't change with their body. They should be encouraged to escape obesity but meanwhile, regardless of whether they succeed or not, you should respect them rather than insult and patronize them. You don't have to be attracted to them but it's just insensitive to express feelings of disgust over their bodies.

I disagree that obesity is self inflicted in all cases. I would dare say in most cases that its not self inflicted. Yes there are measures you can take to curb the effects of obesity but there are other major underlying causes of obesity from genetics to emotional issues to any number of other reasons why people are overweight. Like I said very few people wake up one day and DECIDES to eat until they are 300 lbs overweight. Thats like saying that someone woke up one day and DECIDED to have sex with men instead of women.

Its not an obese person's fault that they have to eat food to survive. I would be the first one to say that the amount is very controllable but there is a significant difference in it being self inflicted or not. To me that separates it from drugs/alcohol/smoking or what have you because its not something you consciously decide to start. Im guessing alot of obese people would give up eating food completely if they could get skinny and still live a normal life. Something that you are obligated to do, like eating food or having a relationship with the person you are attracted to, shouldnt be held against someone because of how they are. I just dont see how anyone can say that one is ok and the other isnt.

People who do not take care of themselves , self centered & selfish.if you're too hairy