Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dating Apps
Something that must of massively changed since we were all on here last is the world of dating apps. 

Anyone have any experience of these that they wish to share? Funny stories? Embarrassing? Cringy? Share!! 

I personally don't think the relevance of dating apps exists anymore. It used to be the one way to find someone to date, or get a quick hookup out of, but the past couple of years Twitter, Instagram and even surprisingly LinkedIN seems to be being used for hookups, (LinkedIN was the one that I didn't believe until I actually saw this for myself!) Twitter also another pet hate of mine is seeing all the random rod shots appear on my timeline, its such a thirst fest! 

Grindr always creeped me out with showing how close people were to you. Never sat easy - and I always found that it was for a certain type of guy, the more 'bitchy' type. Scruff was the app that I preferred to use over time but again it was amazing just how popular this was and how you'd randomly see the guy you were messaging walking down the street, it really allowed me to see how popular these apps are. 

Random thoughts thrown out there

Smile 

Peace out!
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

I have not used any apps for almost five years because I am in a relationship but back when I did I once had a guy on grindr message me and it all seemed normal at first.

Then he started to say he was in trouble with the law and he needed money asap to not go to jail and kept messaging me asking me for money. I had to finally block him.

There also had been a few times someone would message me and know who I was because they saw me at my work (use to work retail at a grocery store.) which was a bit creepy. lol
“Why is a raven like a writing-desk?”  [Image: 1f3a9.png]
[-] The following 2 members Like Meebs's post:
  • InbetweenDreams, Mark

Yeah that is kind of creepy. On Grindr I would just turn off the location setting that way it doesn't show how far away you are. That's one of the concerns I have is that people will recognize me either because they've seen me at work or because they'e seen me on Grindr lol

It not a huge deal for me but it does make it easy for people to stalk you. Oddly, I watched a youtube video claiming that there's a good chance you may have had a stalked and not know it. Frankly, I don't think I'm attractive enough to have a stalker Tongue

Anyway, I haven't had much luck with guys on Grindr, unless your purpose is to find someone to screw on the weekend...and even then most people expect you to show up before the pizza does (you know...Domino's has 30 minutes). I don't know what apps are popular across the globe so it might be something different in your locale....but here in the US seems that POF has more serious people that are less about hooking up...but the rub is that there are way fewer people on the app and that compounds if you're in a rural area.

(04-16-2020, 08:55 PM)Mark Wrote: Something that must of massively changed since we were all on here last is the world of dating apps. 

Anyone have any experience of these that they wish to share? Funny stories? Embarrassing? Cringy? Share!! 

I personally don't think the relevance of dating apps exists anymore. It used to be the one way to find someone to date, or get a quick hookup out of, but the past couple of years Twitter, Instagram and even surprisingly LinkedIN seems to be being used for hookups, (LinkedIN was the one that I didn't believe until I actually saw this for myself!) Twitter also another pet hate of mine is seeing all the random rod shots appear on my timeline, its such a thirst fest! 

Grindr always creeped me out with showing how close people were to you. Never sat easy - and I always found that it was for a certain type of guy, the more 'bitchy' type. Scruff was the app that I preferred to use over time but again it was amazing just how popular this was and how you'd randomly see the guy you were messaging walking down the street, it really allowed me to see how popular these apps are. 

Random thoughts thrown out there

Smile 

Peace out!

Kind of surprised about Linkedin to be honest. That's the last place I'd expect to find a date Tongue
Also, not sure how I missed the OP  Blush

Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook I suppose Twitter...Twitter makes me cringe. Grindr seems to attract guys who are in the closet, married, wants a hook up in the next hour. I've not had much success with that. I usually just look for eye candy on there Tongue that's about it.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • Mark

Yeah the issue for me is working in Retail I think I started to get noticed and a couple of years ago I noticed this one guy kept coming into my place of work and almost hovering around. It was a bit freaky and that instantly made me get rid of a lot of the typical apps.

Once I came off them I think Twitter became my vice - but it’s only recently I’ve realised how ‘Thirst trapped’ it’s becoming! Again it really seems to be clicky as hell and developing such a false sense of reality and I do wonder if people really believe they are that ‘wow’ and if guys are that self entitled in life?!

Sorry I get a bit rant worthy about it as you can tell haha.

Inbetween it’s interesting about Grindr over there. I guess the twinks typically would use it here and married guys wouldn’t tend to in my experience. But I haven’t used it in a few years so that may have changed.

Again I do wonder if anyone is still using apps now and having any success as I love the idea of these apps! Has anyone had any good experiences?!
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]
[-] The following 1 member Likes Mark's post:
  • Meebs

(04-17-2020, 11:27 AM)Mark Wrote: Yeah the issue for me is working in Retail I think I started to get noticed and a couple of years ago I noticed this one guy kept coming into my place of work and almost hovering around. It was a bit freaky and that instantly made me get rid of a lot of the typical apps.

That would probably end it for me too and I bet that your employer either didn't do anything or wouldn't do anything...unless of course the shoe was on the other foot. I have had a few odd things happen...they're not really coming to mind. I mean there has been some more recent things but not exactly like what we're talking about.

Quote:Once I came off them I think Twitter became my vice - but it’s only recently I’ve realised how ‘Thirst trapped’ it’s becoming! Again it really seems to be clicky as hell and developing such a false sense of reality and I do wonder if people really believe they are that ‘wow’ and if guys are that self entitled in life?!

Sorry I get a bit rant worthy about it as you can tell haha.

I get that feel from Twitter too, so it's not just you. People think they're more important than they are, perhaps that's human nature to some extent. However, I think there is a problem with people spouting off on a large platform their half-baked opinions. Of course, I'm guilty myself but I typical keep my thoughts and opinions to myself unless I have something worth saying or feel that I have sufficient knowledge. 

Quote:Inbetween it’s interesting about Grindr over there. I guess the twinks typically would use it here and married guys wouldn’t tend to in my experience. But I haven’t used it in a few years so that may have changed.

Again I do wonder if anyone is still using apps now and having any success as I love the idea of these apps! Has anyone had any good experiences?!

What I have found with the married guys is they typically don't have any photos and will randomly send people their nudes and then the truth comes out that either they're married (usually to women around here) or they're cheating on their partner or whatever the case is. I've been hit up by a couple polygamists...that's just not my cup of tea. In theory it would seem like polygamy would be nice but it seems like the people who go that path, at least locally, are a bit off. But that's just Grindr.

I really don't know of any apps other than perhaps, Facebook Dating (which I think is just a ripoff of Tinder) that might have decent people. POF (PlentyOfFish) seems to be the only place where I have met sane (or mostly sane) people.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!