Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What went wrong with the relationship?
Keep researching Bi-Polar disorder....it used to be called manic-depressive for a good reason.

He is newly diagnosed and stability doesn't happen over night with this illness, it can take months, years to get the right combination of treatments to treat this illness. I think he is doing the right thing for both of you.

Having said that, neither of you have done anything wrong. It is simply one of those things....it is what it is, not much you can do about it now.

Ive had bipolar friends on meds.

I can clearly guarantee you, that ANY kind of deviation in their meds will cause BIG effects in their personality and the way they handle themselves.

There could be a whole lot of reasons why he's acting like this:

Medication was changed to something different.
Dosage of medication was changed.
He isn't taking his meds like he is supposed too.
Medication stopped working.
Medication made a sudden shift in his body chemistry.
He is drinking or eating foods he is not supposed to be, while on meds.

I don't think he's ready for a relationship yet, because he's scared you will run off when things get rough with his problem. Bipolar people usually tend to be very skittish.

If you believe he isn't lying to you, and if you really like him, then you are going to have to give him a LOT of room. All you can do is just be there. If he is in the mood to go out, then you can go out. If he is in the mood to be alone, then leave him alone.

Always let him know that HE should be the one to call you if he feels like chatting, going somewhere, watching tv, or just hanging out with you. If you do this, it will usually let them know that you aren't in any hurry, and they don't have to feel like they are required to have to spend time with you.

Yes, it can be annoying and hurtful sometimes, but this is something you will have to learn to work with and handle, if you want to get closer to him.

In the mean time, I would suggest going to the library or looking it up online and researching all the kinds of bipolar disorders there are. Be prepared.

MisterTinkles Wrote:Ive had bipolar friends on meds.

I can clearly guarantee you, that ANY kind of deviation in their meds will cause BIG effects in their personality and the way they handle themselves.

There could be a whole lot of reasons why he's acting like this:

Medication was changed to something different.
Dosage of medication was changed.
He isn't taking his meds like he is supposed too.
Medication stopped working.
Medication made a sudden shift in his body chemistry.
He is drinking or eating foods he is not supposed to be, while on meds.

I don't think he's ready for a relationship yet, because he's scared you will run off when things get rough with his problem. Bipolar people usually tend to be very skittish.

If you believe he isn't lying to you, and if you really like him, then you are going to have to give him a LOT of room. All you can do is just be there. If he is in the mood to go out, then you can go out. If he is in the mood to be alone, then leave him alone.

Always let him know that HE should be the one to call you if he feels like chatting, going somewhere, watching tv, or just hanging out with you. If you do this, it will usually let them know that you aren't in any hurry, and they don't have to feel like they are required to have to spend time with you.

Yes, it can be annoying and hurtful sometimes, but this is something you will have to learn to work with and handle, if you want to get closer to him.

In the mean time, I would suggest going to the library or looking it up online and researching all the kinds of bipolar disorders there are. Be prepared.

Thanks your answer was very insightful. I always knew it wouldn't be an easy road but I know if he does care about me (which I'm convinced he does), I don't want to give up. I took time and space from him so I could digest everything he said. I probably won't talk to him for another week or two just so I can be sure what I really need/want to do. I do want him to know I'm here for him and I just want to say don't push me away let me help you but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. I'm just going to focus on myself for right now and when the time is right I will talk to him again and tell him what I need to tell him. Someone said to me whenever you decide to talk to him again let him know you're there for him. And if it's meant to be, it's meant to be. If not move on.