Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you choose?
Oblivion, probably heaven.

I would pick recursion, immortality has frightening possibilities. Recursion however is somthing i have thought of often as a "Wouldnt it be soo amazeing to goback to kindergarden with the knowledge I have now and undo my life mistakes. Although recursion would ultimately get boreing but it wold take a few hundred/thousand lifetimes. Then I suppose I would want something else and recursion would bring me back to this point of my choice ;P

Having your old memories in kindergarden would be interesting... "Sorry, but was it hamilton equation used with schrödinger in this case.. Or was it heisenberg uncertain principle?"

Immortality doesn't mean living forever -- or at least it didn't to the Greeks and Romans.

For them Immortality was achieved by just keeping your name alive, and spoken. To do this they did great things, wrote great things and built great things. They wrote great poetry... even about becoming immortal...

About his written works, Virgil wrote...
I have raised a monument more lasting than bronze,
Rising into the clouds further than the peaks of the pyramids,
No harsh storm can topple it,
No north wind or the relentless years,
Not the swift course of time.
I shall never fully die.

American Indians believed the same thing and many of their songs that exist today contain the names of their ancestors who would otherwise be forgotten...but with their names still being spoken and sung, they have achieved the immortality they wanted.

I'll shoot for immortality the way they envisioned it. If you thinnk of all the Romans and Greeks whose names we still speak you can see how many of them have achieved immortality just by doing great things that made them worth remembering.

"Heaven" But it is whatever you want it to be. In a way it's like reincarnation, your in another world or place or just on earth, you keep all your memories, and it's whatever you want it to be.

I would say Oblivion. I did the whole elimination process, and I was torn between Heaven and Oblivion. Heaven can be different from a person to another, but still I don't like the unknown aspect of it. I always go by "There is an end to everything", that's why Oblivion is what I would go by.

triplea99 Wrote:oh... we have a choice?

well, i feel immortal.

Immortality.

Assuming Ageing stops at some point, hopefully before the point of being in constant pain or disability.
Also assuming I could end my own life by some means.

Basically, immortality is great, as long as you don't get trapped in eternal torment.
If that's not possible, recurring would be my next choice; would be a shame time doesn't progress between lives, but I think it better than ceasing to exist or ascending to a boringly perfect existence.

Either oblivion or heaven.

meridannight Wrote:well, i feel immortal.
I think we all do in a sense. For sure youth has something to do with it. The older I've become, the less 'immortal' I feel (underscored by holding one of my lovers in my arms as his body was disconnected from the machinery that was keeping his heat beating). As one gets much older, however, the realization that the body is wearing out like a well used machine, can't so easily be dismissed. Things that once were taken for granted increasingly become challenges. But, even so, since we can't quite imagine what its like NOT to have a physical body, the illusion of 'immortality' often persists as a kind of habit.

But what is there in us that *can* withstand the death of the physical body? Anything? I think this is a very interesting question.