Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats your drink?
I was 17 when Russian Americans (some immigrants, some born here) let me drink with them and I saw kids as young as 10 drinking. But it might've been a "special occasion" as it was the end of Pascha, a Russian Orthodox celebration that lasts weeks with fasts and ends with a feast and lots of drinking.

It blew my mind that they mixed Christianity with alcohol, and not only that but the fasting before (so no food in the stomach) and lack of sleep (it was like 4 AM when we started and had been standing all night chanting amidst heavy incense and other shamanic elements) and then as the alcohol flowed the priest ran down the stairs (we were at the bottom) and shouted over & over (IIRC) "Christos Voskrese!" ("Christ is Risen!") and we (me included) raised up glasses of vodka and shouted "Voistinu Voskrese!" ("Indeed He is risen!"). I got wasted pretty fast. It was quite the contrast to growing up in the East Texas Bible Belt where so many counties are dry because the churches are against alcohol. Grlaugh

But I currently only have one Russian American friend (and former lover). Since living an openly lesbian lifestyle I've just avoided the Russian Orthodox (who make up most Russian Americans I know) as I'd rather keep my memories of them as pretty good. And because of that I probably won't try to learn Russian again.

But then again, I might...I just have no reason to at this time.

stella ! nothing else to add

I have to admit that I don't drink very much at all. I don't even plan to drink the champagne at my own wedding next year (mainly because I can't stand the taste of wines.)

If it is an alcoholic drink you want to know about then Smirnoff Ice is quite nice... They used to do (way back when I was at Uni') an Irn Bru and Bells Whisky which was very dangerous... You got drunk from the feet upwards.

Pix Wrote:I was 17 when Russian Americans (some immigrants, some born here) let me drink with them and I saw kids as young as 10 drinking. But it might've been a "special occasion" as it was the end of Pascha, a Russian Orthodox celebration that lasts weeks with fasts and ends with a feast and lots of drinking.

Nice!! Anyone in Russia can drink, under 18 just can't buy it. That's why I got teased for being "underage" - our age 21 drinking limit.

But it's all for the better anyway. I have had alcohol before though definitely not with any frequency. Even small quantities have made me sick, so bleh on that. :tongue: I have no clue why either.

Pascha sounds like Lent and the Easter Vigil in Catholicism.

colinmackay Wrote:I have to admit that I don't drink very much at all. I don't even plan to drink the champagne at my own wedding next year (mainly because I can't stand the taste of wines.)

Oh thank goodness I'm not on my own I can't stand the taste of wine either. Scatter

black label beer <3

Zophia Wrote:Nice!! Anyone in Russia can drink, under 18 just can't buy it. That's why I got teased for being "underage" - our age 21 drinking limit.

Sounds like in Sweden. YOU are allowed to drink at pubs, restaurants, bars and night clubs at 18 BUT it costs around 300% cause you got to charge pretty mutch for alcohol in law just to avoid Alcoholism. But you are allowed to buy at 'Systembolaget' which is our only alcohol store chain and has monopoly on it and charges also more then most countries but less then pubs, BUT you can only buy from there IF you are over 20... Sad

Raspberry vodka and mountain dew.<3 :3

You are allowed to drink wine and beer under 18 in Quebec, if it is given to you by an adult.

I'm not much of a drinker really, occasionally wine, usually red. For mixed drinks, I don't mind daiquiris on occasion. For a while 2 years ago I had my jaw wired and used to go have a liquid lunch of strawberry daiquiris, it made subsiding on vitamin water and meal replacement shakes more tolerable.

I've never really tasted alcohol, except by accident, when I've always thought it tasted horrible and spat it out (always discreetly, of course!). One day curiosity might get the better of me.

The landlord at my local always has bitter lemon in the fridge so he can mix me a proper St Clements.