Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats your heritage?
I come from a long line of people.

Pix Wrote:There's a lot of Cherokee because they mixed in with whites the easiest. Socially speaking, anyway, they had a lot in common with white settlers and integrated the easiest (Trail of Tears and the like notwithstanding). They were also an important part of Texas independence from Mexico (though they then got royally screwed despite the efforts of some, and marrying Cherokee was one of the reasons the Republic of Texas made laws about race and marriage). They even joined the Confederates in the Civil War (part of that was bitterness over the Trail of Tears, but some were also slave owners).

All in all I can believe many have Cherokee in their bloodline, more than any other Native American group. Still, so many were trying to officially claim heritage that the Cherokee nation made some very strict guidelines on who could be counted, guidelines that many with Cherokee ancestry could not meet if they'd integrated into white society (and makes sense to me).

I never heard of them being associated with Pocahontas, and it's not just hippies who claim Cherokee ancestors.

Of course this is all very true, and I was definitely aware of these historical factors. That being said, little of this was exclusive just to the Cherokee (there were four other so-called "civilized tribes" along with the Cherokee who largely lived alongside, traded with, and assimilated closely into white Southern culture) and when the dust all settles there's still a particular self-identification over-reporting of Cherokee vs. the others, just as there's an over-reporting of Irish compared to say, German or French or similar even when many of those groups emigrated in similar or larger numbers. Ultimately most people, particularly in America, have a degree of haziness to their full family history and "grandma used to say we were part Native" (or related to Daniel Boone..) can somehow through repetitions turn into a claim in self-identification which may or may not be accurate. The poor documentation doesn't make family research any easier, particularly with Native blood, because anti-miscegenation laws in the U.S. made Indian-other marriages illegal for much of our history and so many of these marriages were common law, and are difficult to trace and document factually.

There are undoubtedly considerable numbers of otherwise white European-Americans with Cherokee heritage, but a very good fraction of the total people who claim it actually may have ties to other tribes, or only the rumor of an ancestor somewhere. It is kind of the go-to tribe when people suspect some Native ancestry but really have no hard evidence of it or to which tribe that ancestry hailed.

Heck half the time when I mention Blackfoot blood people haven't heard of the tribe... I have to sigh and say "Did you see Dances with Wolves? They were like that tribe.."

As far as I know, I'm half Human and half Alien.

Im Scottish, Irish family on my dads side, American on my mums.

And Ive lived on every continent, except Antartica Smile

ObW
X

Evan88 Wrote:just like Bry...mostly Spanish with a bit of Chinese.

Mother side: Grandma is from a Spanish family, Grandpa is a native with Chinese, Japanese heritage
Father side: Grandpa is from a Spanish family, Grandma is a native mainly with Malay/Chinese heritage

Most Pinoys with Spanish ancestry are concentrated in Manila or Cebu...and Zamboanga to some extent.

And I think Northern Luzon too, like Illocos has a lot of Spanish ancestry.

Lol, I remember my mom told me that they had to change my grandma's family's
maiden name because it was so Spanish sounding and that it was during the time
when the Spanish was getting kicked out of the country.

I also met my grandma's sister years ago who lived in Pangasinan and she looked
more Spanish than Filipino cause she has a lighter skin color and had more Spanish
features.

My family's from England and Scotland. Not exactly sure which was first. But, as far back as we can go (1770s), it seems we originated in England!

Italian here. In 2010 I went to Rome and met some of my cousins from there.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

My heritage is Welsh, Irish and English. Mother is welsh and my fathers English. My great grandfather was Irish.
An eye for an eye

cherokee indian/ italian and french and german , but i was born in the USA. So my heritage is the good ole American pride.

Ahh well I dunno anything about my dad's side after he walked out on me (I see my step dad as my real dad) but on my mums side we originate from the clan mcdonalds in Scotland (hence the slight red hair) and lived around Glen Coe but came to England after the massacres by the English!!! Also I'm not sure how or why but I'm told we have a touch of "blue blood" so I could be 100000sth in line to the throne Smile