Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whatsoever Things Are... Thought Provoking
A distinctly thought provoking demi-poem, much underquoted:

[SIZE=3]"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things"[/SIZE]

I'll refrain from sharing with you where it's sourced and the commonly accepted interpretations of it, out of interests of avoiding colouring any judgement.

My question on this is, what's your personal interpretations of the above quote?

Ky xx

I know where it comes from and I'm afraid there's too much baggage for me to comment objectively :redface:

It was definitely not underquoted in my experience - quite the opposite!

Ah yes, I suppose in the groups/circles relating to the source it would be highly quoted, I just meant in society as a whole - more people likely to have heard an Aristotle-ism than that.

Not necessarily a bad thing, just interested to see what people interpret it as meaning, and whether they think that as such, it would be good or bad to apply to life in general?

Ky xx

NB: Much appreciate your not stating where it's sourced, prefer to avoid colouring any judgements - some things are best judged out of context, insofar as they're self-sufficient without needing to be put in context to be understood or interpreted.

Trying to place where i've read it before...

Thinking it's about following as we have taught to follow the path of righteousness and find the things that are of such beauty that they set us apart??

Definitely come across it before... Grr, WHY can't i place it??

I think as an endeavour, if i'm remembering the correct interpretation, it's honourable enough, though perahps not always practical...

I think we're more or less on the same page in our interpretation of it - I think perhaps the concept/idea is to apply, or at least consider, these traits (truth, honesty, purity, loveliness, etc) as we live and consider them when making decisions about what we do in life?

Also think it may be suggesting that not only truth and honesty, the typical traits of a "good person" are alone the best characteristics, but also that being pure of nature and lovely of character may be just as much of a positive aspect to a person?

Just my opinion, mind ya.

xx

From i what i remember from Miss Albert's lessons, the key message is that there are things of great (as in good, not always necessarily large or immense, but nevertheless prfound) beauty and significance to be found everywhere. And it is in finding these and recognising these and perhaps even creating them ourselves that we set us apart from that which is not good.

It's like the people who sheltered Jews in Nazi Germany and lied about them being there. Lying is ostensibly bad, but it masked a greater thing of beauty, a thing of beauty hidden in a world where evil (for want of a better word) permeated the lives of many.

It's also about how any thing, however samll which shows and kind of goodness in any sense of the word shows a great capacity for it, and it is ion this that we should focus.

Slowly the essay i wrote on it is coming back to me Confusedmile:

xxx

Heh I can see your point in that, do agree it could be of limited application in many situations, but still think that the essential points aren't altogether impractical.

Incidentally, I'm assuming that the lessons from then are agreed with by yourself? It is, after-all, -your- interpretation I'm hoping for. =)

Ky xxx

Yes i find her interpretation of the passage to be convincing and sufficiently eloquent. All i mean is that personally i don't think we have in us the capactiy to always see the light and the divine and the good in everything.

Like i said, as an endeavour it is admirable. Whether it is altogether possible is another story.

It's like if you see someone buying a velour kaftan. There isn't (as far as i can see) anything divine or great or good about this situation. I can look for it, but i can't find it. It's a superficial and judgemental example, but sometimes there are situations no visibe good can come of.

It's something we should all try, but i think, much as i do have faith, there are just some situations where we're never going to understand the good or the great or the beautiful. And it's enough for me personally that i have faith that they're there.

As I said, it's of limited practical application - I just feel that we're agreed that there are certainly much worse things to aspire to. =)

Ky xx

Well then in our own, totally roundabout, way we completely agree, yessum??

Confusedmile: