Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When did the Church start worrying about sex?
My own opinion is that it should stop worrying and let people get on with their own lives:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zc3n39q?intc...tentcard25
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Have you seen the Vatican? All that gold leafing isn't cheap! Religion isn't stupid... the more people breed, the more hands putting into the collection plates. Also, the more people whom believe in higher beings, the more controllable and gullible they are.

Need a better scholar than I am to answer, but didn't celibacy for priests come along in the middle ages as a reaction to clergy being to "worldly?"

Putting Augustine in perspective, it is in instructional to note that Jewish attitudes toward sex are not so prudish.
I bid NO Trump!

If it was possible for an organized religion to "let people get on with their lives", said organized religions wouldn't exist.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Secret of church domination:
Provide carrot to unwashed masses: heaven
And sticks:
1) sins, which are basically everything that is fun.
2) provide very restrictive rules that allow sinning properly
3) provide costly way to atone for your sins

Result:
Rich church, controlled masses,

Successful for over 2K years
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

Since right back at the very beginning.

The abrahamic faiths began in a time and place where warfare was purely a matter of manpower. Biggest army wins. So sex acts that don't result in birthing new soldiers were discouraged and women were treated as property so that they could be used as breeding stock.

But now the canaanites are long dead and these beliefs continue long past their use.

the king james or whatever bible is very very very very out of date and needs tossed into the trash.

Insertnamehere Wrote:If it was possible for an organized religion to "let people get on with their lives", said organized religions wouldn't exist.

Then we'd all be better off.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Sometimes I wonder where Paul got his ideas and how it was that he decided that we should adopt them. Even more of a problem is that those who settled the canon of the new testament decided taht Paul's letter should be included. I have had to deal with the suggestion of some air headed souls that this or that music or reading or whatever be used at church because it is "christian." maybe that is what happened to Paul. Someone suggested an the folks deciding simply could not stand up to say no.
I bid NO Trump!