Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When did you become comfortable with being...
It took me a few months (two i think?) but i wasn't in denial, i just thought of ways to live a ''normal'' life with wife, kids, dog and garden, though it helped me a LOT to watch youtubers, seeing how normal a life a gay person can have Smile the only difference from wife, kids, dog and garden is that the wife would be a husband, which wasn't a problem to accept for me Smile

I didn't have to officially come out, it was way to easy for me since I was raised by gay parents and my mom was okay with it. It wasn't being gay the most difficult part on my mom' side of the family it was more being atheist that disturbed them Smile.

It took my sometime to realize that I was and then sometime to accept it. I finally truly accepted it when I was 20 years old, about two years after I really had any sexual desires (late bloomer). It took me probably about 8 months after I realized I was gay to accept it myself.

Honestly, the bitter truth is that I'm still not fully comfortable about my sexuality. Yeah, I can tell others Im gay, I can make jokes about it, but I feel like deep down, I still have internalized homophobia. Like whenever I see other gay couples kiss or something, I sometimes feel almost tense, like a sense of worry that something bad will happen. A fight, bullies, etc. etc. I feel actually quite unease sometimes about my sexuality.

I think this stems from the fact that I still haven't told my father about my sexuality, and I end up having this 'fear' of getting caught, which kind of causes some internalized homophobia

I think I became quite quickly comfortable with being gay. I was always an open minded person (in my youth more so than now) and it took me a few days and I was fine with it.

However, as I have never been looking for sex, I am not sure if I would suddenly have more issues with being gay once I have sex with another guy.
My sex drive is just very very low while I am a very emotional person, and I am fine with it. I mostly miss a man to exchange emotions, rather than sex.

Hmm, I guess I came into terms of my being gay at the age of 14? It never really did bother me; my parents are quite liberal and them having friends from the LGBTQ+ community definitely helped.

Kenny221 Wrote:I still have internalized homophobia

This may be the case for me when it comes to gay-themed tv shows or movies. I can't f*cking stand them for whatever reason. I suppose this is a plausible reason.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

ive always been happy with me been gay as its just me - im not as happy to come out at work though or to strangers where I feel no need to explain myself - where I work amongst hundreds of employees...we do not have any gay guys that are out or have ever employed any person of race ever - I use common sense there as I need to keep a job lol .

not sure about the feel free about "everything that comes with being gay" are their any benefits ? I have no idea

Kenny, you touch on an interesting point. Being older, I have grown up with the feeling that being outwardly gay would precipitate bad things happening. It is an ingrained expectation that I don't even credit myself with having until it is brought up by someone else. This kind of expectation, like the worst feeling that lie behind racism is among the worst things that society must deal with in setting ourselves free of prejudice. It won't be overcome with a parade or a few slogans. It is, at its very core, hate. We still have a lot of work to do.
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:Kenny, you touch on an interesting point. Being older, I have grown up with the feeling that being outwardly gay would precipitate bad things happening. It is an ingrained expectation that I don't even credit myself with having until it is brought up by someone else. This kind of expectation, like the worst feeling that lie behind racism is among the worst things that society must deal with in setting ourselves free of prejudice. It won't be overcome with a parade or a few slogans. It is, at its very core, hate. We still have a lot of work to do.

I really do agree with the point you've went into detailed with. I'm born in an a heavily Asian-Christian cultured family, and while growing up,I hear all these horror stories that happened right where I lived. ( There was a well respected doctor, who was brutally murdered because he was gay and I heard this story when I was still relatively deep in the closet) That was just one of many stories I heard while growing up.