Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When did you come out the closet?
When did you first come out? How did you do it, and what did you say?

Also, how did that person react, and what did they say?

I was 12 years old, when I came out to my mother.
I wrote on a piece of paper, "I'm gay." Folded it up, and gave it to her.
She read it and was silent for a few minutes, I was expecting the worst!
She asked me,"Are you sure that you really know you are?", I said yes.
She was open-minded about it, and said that she loved me, regardless.
She also said that it was just a phase I was going through, being that I was so young.
She knows it's not "just a phase" anymore, by now! :biggrin:

My sister said she had always known that I was gay, since I was born! So, she wasn't surprised when I told her, and could care less about who I sleep with. She's also bisexual, so she understands where I come from.

I never really flat-out told my dad I was gay....He just figured it out, and let me know of his disapproval. He is very old fashioned in his mentality when it comes to social issues like homosexuality. Spanish fathers have this whole "macho" thing that they feel the need to pass down to their son's. I remember, he would always scramble to find me a nice girl to hook-up with, thinking it would gear me in the holy direction of heterosexuality. He'd even paid women to have sex with me, though I never did! I would just hang out in bed with them and pretend I got some pussy, so my dad would leave me alone since it was really annoying.... Just about a year ago, he told me that he loves me no matter who I choose to be with, that he'll always be there to support me in anything I do, and that he loves me as his son unconditionally. I get teary eyed when I think about it, even now, because it was such a monumental time in my life, finally getting his approval and acceptance with regards as to who I was.

First I came out to my best friend who became my partner in March 2008. Then I came out to mom over a half a year later... that didn't go so well. I told her that I was gay and I had a boyfriend. It happened at a really bad moment. She was on the phone and I just had to tell her.

It couldn't wait and I told her right after she go out off the phone with her former best friend (one of her last conversations with that person, another story and not really relevant) at 11:59 PM. She reacted like I was crazy. I don't remember her exact words, but she said I wasn't gay and I didn't have a boyfriend. It was really bad.

The next day I went to my counselor (not my counselor anymore) and I came out to her. She was supportive until I told her how old my partner was... she wasn't too pleased. However, I went more into detail and fully explained to her about the age of consent law. She understood and she was supportive about right up to my last session with her.

Then my mom and her had a talk. The counselor pointed out to her that it's a phase or some bullcrap. I totally disagree. I came out 2 years ago and I'm sticking to my guns about being a gay man.

Pretty sure I've told you this, Dreamer, but not everybody else in here.

I realized that I was lesbian on May 25th, 2007. After that I never hid it from anybody.

I have never in my life been able to confide in my parents, but me and my little sister have been really close our whole lives, I practically raised her(even though she's just 5 years younger than I am). She was the first person I told. She took it really well and doesn't feel any differently about me after I told her, and she really trusts me. Hehe, we're pretty extreme when we're hanging out and having fun. Groaping each other just for the fun of it, and we also know that it doesn't mean anything. I told her she could tell my parents if she wanted, and she did. There was never really an issue about it or anything, but I do know that they don't particularly like it, but they don't give me any shit about it.

My grandma is the most open one about it, she has two grand-kids that are gay. My cousin, that lives in Denmark, and me. But there are a lot of gay people in both her lineage and my late grandpa's.

But almost everybody is really understanding and proud of me.