Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When irrelevant studies get published on the internet
Ekwarph Wrote:I don't exactly understand how are managed funds for research and I might be wrong but he academy of Science of Prague is a public institution, so it's financed by the government, while it could do other more constructive actions.

If you don't know, then don't make statements about it. I don't know either, so I'm not gonna assume, but if I had to take a guess I'd say money for this research has nothing to do with money for research in other areas.

Evan Wrote:If you don't know, then don't make statements about it. I don't know either, so I'm not gonna assume, but if I had to take a guess I'd say money for this research has nothing to do with money for research in other areas.

No need to be aggressive Wink

If public institutions of my country finances that kind of study with MY money, not sure I would enjoy.
While public researchers are paid a misery in "useful" domains.

Evan Wrote:You may find it's stupid, but that doesn't say it is nor does it say other people think it is. Also, like I said, proving there are statistical differences between the physical appearance of gay and straight men, in theory, does add to the argument in favor of sexuality being innate.

And, "psychological behavior pattern?" I think you're way off here. I don't think sexuality is a psychological behavior pattern. In fact, I don't think it has anything to do with behavior at all.

Evan, one can find correlations bewteen the size of your hand and the average temperature of the sun...which means you can put 2 statistical population of whatever and make them correlate...doesn't mean they actually have anything to do with each other...

I can agree on the last paragraph, sexuality is not ALLabout behavior, but the brain is ultimately what controls everything the body does and since atraction to whatever gender stems from the limbic system like any other emotion, sexuality (not gender, or gender identity) ican amount as much as a psychological behavior pattern as anything else...it's all about neurotransmiters, neurological newtworks and electrical impulses..

and how life experiences and external stimuli can shape that

Nevertheles...you are entitled to your opinion, sir.

if they're taking a total of 80 samples from one specific region and using arbitrary evidence like women rating their faces from 1-7 in terms of masculinity, that sounds to me like it's pretty much worthless evidence.

At the moment at least this study has no basis, if they want to go and continue with larger sample size and a less arbitrary way of obtaining data, and a more diverse sample then I might be more interested.

Ekwarph Wrote:No need to be aggressive Wink

? I'm not. Far from it.

Quote:If public institutions of my country finances that kind of study with MY money, not sure I would enjoy.
While public researchers are paid a misery in "useful" domains.

It doesn't really work that way; it's not really "your" money. However, how government finance works isn't really something to discuss in a thread like this.
Also, what is useful and what is not is very much up for debate, and in the end not you nor me get to make that decision.

I guess we'll just disagree, which is fine too Wink

southbiochem Wrote:Evan, one can find correlations bewteen the size of your hand and the average temperature of the sun...which means you can put 2 statistical population of whatever and make them correlate...doesn't mean they actually have anything to do with each other...

Confused You really don't see the difference between the two? I find that a bit of a weak comparison. Also, I didn't say they had anything to do with each other, I said they could have.

Quote:I can agree on the last paragraph, sexuality is not ALLabout behavior, but the brain is ultimately what controls everything the body does and since atraction to whatever gender stems from the limbic system like any other emotion, sexuality (not gender, or gender identity) ican amount as much as a psychological behavior pattern as anything else...it's all about neurotransmiters, neurological newtworks and electrical impulses..

I disagree.

Quote:Nevertheles...you are entitled to your opinion, sir.

My thoughts exactly Smile As are you.