Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When sex-change is a mistake: Some transsexuals suffer bitter regrets
i agree with that also

East Wrote:I believe in free and open discussions, and I believe people should have the right to freely express themselves without being swarmed by a bunch of personal attacks.

I believe in free speech as well...I dont' ever remember giving anyone an infraction or telling anyone they are not free to say what they think....but using your own example to generalize other people's responses to someone else as appropriate or inappropriate is basically an example of the double standard you refer to. If it is OK for HOF to say what he wants it is equally OK for anyone to respond ...or not... in any manner they wish. Free speech works both ways.

You are an amazingly wise gentlemen sir, I tip my hat off to you. :-)

East Wrote:I believe in free and open discussions, and I believe people should have the right to freely express themselves without being swarmed by a bunch of personal attacks.

I believe in free speech as well...I dont' ever remember giving anyone an infraction or telling anyone they are not free to say what they think....but using your own example to generalize other people's responses to someone else as appropriate or inappropriate is basically an example of the double standard you refer to. If it is OK for HOF to say what he wants it is equally OK for anyone to respond ...or not... in any manner they wish. Free speech works both ways.

Oh, that's not a double standard. I didn't say they couldn't voice their opinions how they wished. Indeed, I even excused the rudeness of some comments as being impassioned and related my own mistakes and Holland's mistakes to those behaviors. I didn't mention anyone in particular, so I hope you did not view it as a personal attack, East, because I really was not thinking of you or anyone in particular at the time. Indeed, as they are free to express their opinions about Holland's conduct or even my conduct, so to am I free to express my opinions about how they conduct themselves Is that not so?

Though, honestly, your response leaves me wondering if you are more upset because I am critical of those behaviors (including my own) or because I encouraged him to stay when it seems like the swarm of comments were designed to alienate Holland to the point of leaving.

I remember the Faculty Adviser for the GLBT organization I was a member of in college admonishing us about "teaching moments". It seems that as a community, when we come across such threads as these, we should try to use them as a jumping off point for a discussion or as a means to educate. As I said, it is hard for all of us to do so when we feel so closely connected to a topic, but perhaps that is something we should all work on as a group . . . to try and put aside those instant, emotional reactions in favor of creating a more supportive and INFORMATIVE environment. I imagine this thread would have been far more productive if that idea had been more prevalent in the discussion. Some people did attempt to do that very thing, but it seemed like they were shut down rather quickly. I'm willing to try my hand at it. Is anyone else?

mrk2010 Wrote:You are an amazingly wise gentlemen sir, I tip my hat off to you. :-)

Mrk, have you ever given an infraction because someone was voicing their opinion in a way that you did not like?

The question of sex-reassignment surgery is not uncontroversial for the transgender community either. On the other side of the issue there is a tendency of people to trivialize the gender identities of those who do not transition surgically. A lot of people are hesitant to affirm their gender identity, because they are perceived as not being committed, or as simply confused. Not to mention the relatively recent emergence of genderqueer identities, who further complicate gender identity issues.

The examples given in the independent article are a bit dated too (written in 1993), with the evidence coming from transitioners during the 80s. I think transgender individuals have access to a more sophisticated debate about gender identity today. One that offers them more options so that they can easier determine whether surgery is appropriate for them to be comfortable in their gender identity. The medical community that deals with the issues is better informed as well, and there is a much more developed support network for transgender people.

I have to do some searching, but I believe more recent studies show that the figure of transsexuals who are unhappy with the surgery is even lower than 5%. More importantly, the evidence suggests that those diagnosed as "gender dysphoric disorder" (a medical category I would not personally describe transsexual individuals with) experience significant decreases in psychological morbidity after surgery. Thus, from a simplistic utilitarian standpoint, the surgery does help.

This is a friend of mine from college talking about his transition.

Inchante Wrote:Mrk, have you ever given an infraction because someone was voicing their opinion in a way that you did not like?

whats infraction mean??? Im unsure whether it is a good thing to get or not

zeon Wrote:whats infraction mean??? Im unsure whether it is a good thing to get or not

Infraction-A violation or infringement of a law, agreement, or set of rules.

You can freely give infractions here on Gay Speak to people. It is supposed to be used solely for situation where a person who posted on GS has broken a rule of GS. (e.g. has advertised a business on GS or has personally attacked a person to the point of it being abusive and harassing) But, some people have used it when someone's opinion offends them or when the tone of their comments seems to be negative.

Oh well if i offend anyone please make sure ya tell me as i like to sort things out on a 121 rather than things go higher like two adults Smile I miss cardshark as his had 8 infractions

Inchante Wrote:Mrk, have you ever given an infraction because someone was voicing their opinion in a way that you did not like?

No I have never given an infraction to anybody before, I deem his posts offensive therefor I have blocked them, I am entitled to do so. Other people are of the same opinion as I am, I'm not going to discuss it further. Ok.com