Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When some people are just soooooo full of Bull Sh*t
Almac Wrote:[SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Why, I think people should be under obligation to take responsibility
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

In my experience saying freedom of speech should come with legal responsibility (not merely moral obligation), boils down to the freedom to say what others consider appropriate which is no freedom at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:In my experience saying freedom of speech should come with legal responsibility (not merely moral obligation), boils down to the freedom to say what others consider appropriate which is no freedom at all.
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]
[SIZE="2"]I have to agree with you to the extent, that being restricted to saying the things that does not offend certainly curtails the freedom of speech.
[/SIZE]
[/COLOR]

fredv3b Wrote:In my experience saying freedom of speech should come with legal responsibility (not merely moral obligation), boils down to the freedom to say what others consider appropriate which is no freedom at all.

I wonder, how does one protect against propaganda while preserving free speech. There are some media sources operating which seem to teeter on that line between opinion and propaganda.

If one is going to permit unfettered freedom of speech, propaganda is going to be part of the deal, surely?

I'm never sure where the line is. One person's freedom of expression is bound to be another person's propaganda.

If propaganda is untrue, then freedom of speech for others allows that falsehood to be publicised. If it's true why do you want to suppress it? If it's merely opinion, then I think it's a small price to pay for freedom of speech.

Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

marshlander Wrote:If one is going to permit unfettered freedom of speech, propaganda is going to be part of the deal, surely?

I'm never sure where the line is. One person's freedom of expression is bound to be another person's propaganda.

Well, I suppose putting up with organizations like News Corp is necessary.

Inchante Wrote:Well, I suppose putting up with organizations like News Corp is necessary.

I think the question of how information is disseminated in our society is an important one. The fact that a few powerful people can control the direction of public discourse is not a new problem, but the dominance of corporate media today makes it a bigger problem. On the opposite side of the coin, we have the issue of the internet and the so-called democratization of information, the fact that any loon with an internet connection has the ability to be read and listened to; conspiracy theories and plain misinformation, like the purported MMR-autism link, are able to gain wide acceptance.

The only answer I have right now is to foster vibrant civil society, we just have to keep the "endless mill of speech" going, as Foucault says we can't really escape power, but there is always resistance.

Inchante Wrote:Well, I suppose putting up with organizations like News Corp is necessary.

You know, I WAS thinking about that and how it caused me to reconsider how much I supported the 1A. I was forced to watch that at a fitness center I used to go to (and quit in large part because I was sick of having to listen to Glen Beck) and despite how over the top ridiculous it was so many there--many of them military and ex-military--got exceedingly angry and I found them scary and I didn't dare share how stupid I thought FOX was for fear of physical retaliation. Granted, I think if schools taught critical thinking and how to recognize propaganda then just maybe FOX wouldn't be the success that it is.

But what really got me to reconsider was how many shootings there have been because of FOX scaring and angering their gullible viewers. As just one example (and there are like a score of them) is Byron Williams, who got his guns and body armor and went to start a war by shooting up Tides Foundation and the ACLU after Glenn Beck convinced him over FOX that they were evil. (The cops intercepted him first and he got in a shoot out with them instead.)

And one point of outrageousness was...here, I found it, a hate piece against gays and lesbians, and they even demonized the gay self-defense group Pink Pistols (which I think has more men than women in it) as a lesbian gang threatening children:

ETA: ok I can't figure out how to make the YT work, so here is just the naked link:

If only people treated this like the insanity it is I wouldn't care. But too many people DO believe it (even when FOX admits it lied as it later did about the report I linked to) and that makes me see it as the equivalent of shouting "FIRE!" in a crowded theater. I don't know where I stand on free speech anymore because of that.

Pix Wrote:ETA: ok I can't figure out how to make the YT work, so here is just the naked link:

Here you go, Pix.

Just copy the letter/code after the equal sign and click on the youtube icon found all the way to the right.
It should look like this: [ youtube ]eOpChXhglGg [/ youtube] <----- no spaces, I put them in so you could see.

Ty!

I thought I tried that but I must've deleted a letter or had a space in there that I didn't see somehow. I'll get it next time. Confusedmile: