Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When/whether to out self to straight guy
I know for myself...I have several straight friends and some straight acquaintances. However, as far as my straight friends go...I have came clean about my sexual orientation because I feel I need to be honest about that if we have created a bond that leads into a friendship due to the fact that I don't want them finding out from someone else than myself. This has worked out for me because my straight friends appreciate my honest approach and therefore...I've gained a lot of respect from them for doing so. In fact, most of them have become very protective over me in a lot of ways. In other words, I just tend to believe if you and him are establishing a connection in the ways of a friendship...then perhaps...you should consider being upfront with him about your sexual orientation. Maybe you can consider telling him if you happened to have a good conversation going where you may feel at ease to reveal that to him...you know..timing is everything...Good Luck!!!

Well, I did it. We'll see what happens!

[Image: dalmation-fire-dog1.jpg]
"It's quiet out there.... too quiet!"

Holy cow. I dont remember making that comment 5 months ago and bet Virgey dont remember writing what he did. I sent him a message to get him to read what he wrote. Funny how things change in ways no one expects them to.

But that aint why I clicked this thread. This thread is about gays coming out to heterosexuals right?. Yall have it easier than some others when it comes to coming out. Imagine trying to tell family or coworkers about your S&M experiences or other kinky things you are into. Gay people handle things like that way better than heterosexuals without going viral about it.

This topic really interests me. Cards on the table: I haven't read any of this thread other than the OP.

Straight people never have to think about this because everyone is assumed to be straight, so without having to tell people "I'm straight" their identity is never a mystery. Now, is your sexuality your identity? Yes, a part of it anyway. Heterosexual people never have to feel like they're lying just because the topic never came up. People on the LGBT spectrum do.

Of course a lot of straights, if you told them you're gay, would say "I don't care, why do you have to bring it up? Why do you have to make a big deal about it?" And I can see their point. From their perspective it isn't a big deal (and I wish it wasn't anyway. What a great world that would be!). Their own sexuality has never been an issue for them in the way it is for us, so I can see why they'd feel that way. Hopefully the really empathetic ones would say, in so many words, "I understand that it's important for you for me to know this. I can't relate to it, but I accept it."

In an ideal world, of course, it would be a non-issue, and it becomes a non-issue by us treating it like a non-issue. So... I don't know. I'm very conflicted on this matter, but it intrigues the shit out of me.