Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where are all the jobs at? (US)
I've decided I want to go back to school and get a degree that can actually get me a job in something. The only thing I've really wanted to do is become an author but unless you written the next Harry Potter, Hunger Games, or Twilight, I won't be making much money if I ever finish writing one of my ideas, and want a job where I can actually support myself and live independently. Currently, I am still at a dead end job that makes me too tired to do anything on my nights off. I could quit but then I'd be another bum living in their parents basement. I'm thinking about self up a meeting with a counseler to see where a good job would be to work for, but thought I might get some Internet advice first.

Quick summary, I have a degree in Journalism and dont want to work in that, and have completed many classes in education, but stopped because I don't want to be a teacher. I did take a few math classes and didn't hate that. Kind of the only thing that would stick out of my college courses that would stick out.

I'm thinking about something in computers like IT, maybe business, or something math related. So just asking you guys where are the jobs at? I do not want to stock shelves at an under staffed dying store any more and need to get out of here.

So I've done a little research into IT, and think it could be something I could seriously do. I'm going to research it some more tomorrow when I'm not working.

One thing I've noticed is that anything studied in depth becomes fascinating. Atleast to me.
IT is a good business to get into, for sure. Have you thought about programming? I imagine that could be a creative outlet similar to writing.

I work in IT... What are you thinking? Do you have anything specific you're looking at?

Feel free to pick my brain... Oh and there's another DORKY NERD on here too that can probably be helpful Tongue

I started in IT working at a computer shop, fixing computers, etc. It is a good way to get some experience but the pay will probably suck and it can be quite stressful....

I almost don't advise starting a business, unless you can do something unique and can make good money providing the service I would look at something else. I was self-employed doing computer repair and it is very difficult to make enough money to get to the point of having a store front, working countless hours, debt, taxes -- fuck that.

Need to figure out what in IT you're good at. Some people like networking, some people like coding software, some people like me like database type stuff. I know things about all of it.

If there's any advice I can give... Start at a community college that can give you a 2 year degree, do something like a dual enrollment. Here's why, one you will have 2 years into a 4 year degree and you will have a 2 year degree in the IT field. That's pretty much the way things work in NC, I would think MI would have something comparable.

My next bit of advice is to immerse yourself in it. School isn't going to provide you everything you need to know, you're going to have to want to play with this stuff... That takes time, takes time to learn all there is to know and be very good at what you do. Some ideas would like setting up your network at home, maybe buy some older smart switches and whatnot and setup VLAN's, routing and so on... And YouTube, that's a good source for all kinds of things...whether it is terminating CAT5 to writing code in Java or Python.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

I'm finding that business certificates have more pull these days than just a BA. I have a BA in Psychology and work in purchasing. I really need to get a purchasing cert soon if I plan to stay in this field forever. Purchasing is a bit of a trap.

Six Sigma Green Belt is an easy certificate to obtain, can be applied to lots of different business fields. Project Management is another one I'd like to get into. I work with PM's all the time.

Maybe look into a trade / trade school. I was always amazed meeting kids (18-20 somethings) making 6 figures in a Union with no college degree when I was stuck in the 30k range in my younger years working in business.

By the way a BA in Psychology is right there with a BA in History or Journalism. Just about useless.
Use a condom.

If you are going into IT go for certifications, it'll get you into a job faster than a degree. Maybe take some general IT classes to get a feel for what options you have and what you might enjoy.

Software development is more art than engineering. Always trying to find creative solutions to problems.

kindy64 Wrote:If you are going into IT go for certifications, it'll get you into a job faster than a degree. Maybe take some general IT classes to get a feel for what options you have and what you might enjoy.

Software development is more art than engineering. Always trying to find creative solutions to problems.

That is true, just depends. A lot of places like experience.

I got a CompTIA A+ years ago, it is good for some things, but probably won't help you get in a system admin position. Ironically I am a system admin and I do have an A+

What helped me get into my position was experience, demonstration of knowledge and knowing influential people. Now I'm making it sound like I was a shoe in, but I wasn't... took me 3 different times over a couple of years to get in.

So likewise you want to have all those things... education, experience, certifications and having friends in high places.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

axle2152 Wrote:So likewise you want to have all those things... education, experience, certifications and having friends in high places.

This is what REALLY happened!

the boss: "Axle I have arranged this interview to inform you its down to you and one other potential employee. I need to know just how much you want the position. please make yourself comfortable in my office."

Axle: "Well sir, I want it really bad, really really bad!"

the boss: *smiles*"Indeed, I think im going to close the office door and we can discuss details. Feel free to tell me how badly you want it." *leers at Axle as the door closes*

AAAAAND as you can see, Axle is now employed! true story Elkgrin

[MENTION=19807]SilverBullet[/MENTION] I was actually interviewed by a hiring committee, there were 6 people from different departments that asked me questions, recorded my responses...

However, really wanting the position probably is something to take note of, most people just wana salaries...

Wink
Check out my stuff!

axle2152 Wrote:[MENTION=19807]SilverBullet[/MENTION]there were 6 people

O_O O_O SLUUUUUT!! Catmilk

lolol j/k j/k Evilgrin1