Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where is EastofEden?
Like I said before, I respect your decision. Happy reading! Smile

Stick with us East, we can still enjoy a private chat from time to time, if you're online. Yes the cyberworld leading into the real world can be scary. You don't want all of your private stuff exposed, but this is something that the younger generation don't always seem to understand very well.

princealbertofb Wrote:this is something that the younger generation don't always seem to understand very well.

Seems a bit of an unfair generalisation

jwm Wrote:Seems a bit of an unfair generalisation

Read my sentence again.... I did write don't "ALWAYS", which will exclude those who DO! Wishing not to offend, I did not write "NEVER understand", nor did I write 'still don't"... I am careful with words, as you will probably have noticed. Maybe people need to read the nuance and be more careful with what they say, and how they say it. Let's say that in my experience, young people have a different notion of privacy and are more likely to share stuff that I wouldn't want to publish. Facebook is full of such examples.

Yeah but it does imply that the 'younger generation' as a rule don't generally respect people's privacy.
When in reality, it seems to me at least, that invasion of privacy isn't restricted in the main to a specific age category. It's not the younger generations who are always invading people's privacy for the papers and whatnot for example.
Just seemed a bit unfair when all ages, not just us youngsters can and do break people's privacy.

Just my thought anyway, nothing personal :-)

Quote:didn't think anyone would even miss me or notice one way or the other really.

Ha, Mr EastofEden is one of the precious gems in GS. Of course I noticed.

Regarding to your story, I'm sorry to hear about that East. Remybussi

I understand your fear on privacy. I had to think hundred of times before signing up to a community as I fear my profile can be searched by any members of my family. Sure, I am out but only to my friends. My family still do not know that I am gay.

I understand if you feel like you have to leave once again. I respect your decision, East.

Now ... uh, can I add you as a friend again?

jwm Wrote:Yeah but it does imply that the 'younger generation' as a rule don't generally respect people's privacy.
When in reality, it seems to me at least, that invasion of privacy isn't restricted in the main to a specific age category. It's not the younger generations who are always invading people's privacy for the papers and whatnot for example.
Just seemed a bit unfair when all ages, not just us youngsters can and do break people's privacy.

Just my thought anyway, nothing personal :-)
I was actually pointing out that they didn't respect their OWN privacy very well... sometimes a little naively.

OK I'll read my post out again... and explain. YOU (not everyone, YOU = East) don't want your privacy exposed, (statement) unlike some young people (not all of them) who wish to advertise their private life in ways that we (of the older generation) might have found difficult to do or to implement....

There are exhibitionists of every age, I'll grant you that... I was NOT accusing (which you seem to think my post implies) the younger generations of stalking or paparazziing others. And yes, you are right to think that younger generations ought to be very aware of predation and the dangers of saying too much because of older generation predators. But until all groups are aware of this, there will still be some dangers linked to overpublicising anything.

And to go back to the original reason why East left so suddenly, it was all because some young person thought it might be cool to YouTube the site, which, so far, had appealed to East for its relative confidentiality. The idea of YouTubing GaySpeak took him out of his comfort zone. I can only assume that wanting to advertise it on YouTube (as others have before, but not to a great extent nor success in fact) is more the stuff that the younger generation would want to do, because they are used to communicating that way... than "old geezers" who are not always (another generalisation, perhaps???) very (computer) technologically savvy. ( I think it just won't occur to us in the same way to do it that way, different thought processes and mentalities). Call it the generation gap, if you will.

You will certainly have noticed a difference in approaches between younger generations (practically born with a computer in their hands) and generations who didn't have these tools at their disposal when they grew up, but are trying to learn how to use them effectively and not detrimentally. I'll also agree with you that young people have to learn about keeping a certain privacy too, just as kids are sometimes schooled not to say certain things in certain circumstances. It's a question of education and upbringing.

Please don't take my posting as an indictment of what younger people do.

Good to see you back East Wink

This is for you East:
Bighug
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Sil Wrote:Good to see you back East Wink

Ditto and sorry to hear about your previous experiences.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.