Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where would you live?
When things get super-stressful, I daydream about living in a rural area of Vermont. I even have the town picked out - Quechee - population somewhere under 700.

But, in reality, I know I'd go nuts living there full time. I love living in a big city, and Boston is really the best of 2 worlds. It's a big city, with all that goes along with that. But there are distinct and separate districts, neighborhoods that are like small towns. I doubt I'd move anywhere else, at least not in the foreseeable future.

There is absolutely, positively no place on this god forsaken planet I would want to live.

And the only reason why earthlings currently do not have other options is due largely to politicians who constantly cut back on space agency programs thus cutting humanity from the far flung potential targets that mankind has had the technology to reach since at least the 1960's.

And even the far flung planets of this solar system are not a true option as we have had nuclear fission since the 1940's and could have built a generation ship to travel slowly to suitable targets, if not actually have relativistic vessels to reach the 12 or so stars in our immediate area of this galaxy arm.

So my option would be either Mars, where the whole prospect of being a founding father and an initial transformer would suit my personality and "life affirming" nature - meaning instead of planting hundreds of thousands of trees on this overcrowded dying planet I would have been working toward habitability and a whole new ecology to build.

OR

to be on one of those generation ships where I would have been far, far more interesting in procreating and leaving behind a heritage for future generations.

Instead the majority has this mindset that earth is room enough or that somehow the errors of 5,000 years of mistakes culminating in the current "lets destroy the earth as fast as we can" attitude which will lead to the extinction of 25 to 30 percent of the species on earth. Thankfully that percentage also include the infestation of humans that dwell on this world.

Ever wonder why it is out of the hundred to two hundred billion stars of this galaxy alone we haven't hear so much as a peep?

Its because species reach our present "advanced" state and then destroy them selves and their world, either through nuclear war, or fusion war, or through mismanagement of resources.

And those very, very few species who do manage to not blow themselves up view species such as ours as being a terminal cancer that no one in their sane mind should attempt to contact.

The scary part about earth's situation right now is if civilization collapses due to over population, war, climate change or some God-sent asteroid, human population will never be able to have another industrial revolution as all the easy to reach minerals are depleted and that would take a few million years of erosion, tectonic activity to turn around.

The future is not on earth. Period.

IF we mined the moon, the moon could sustain a human population of ten billion for 500 years (easy to reach mineral deposits.

If we mined the asteroid belt then we could sustain a ten billion population for over a thousand years, throw in the rings of Saturn, Jovian and Saturian Moons and that stretches to 5 thousand years.

I would love to be plying the asteroid belt as a prospector, mining mineral wealth beyond the dreams of any corporation who lays eyes on the thawing norther arctic or the Dark Continent of Africa with their piddling stock pile of a mere handful of mineral wealth.

I would manage quiet well in a small single person ship for the rest of my life - decades, with only minor episodes of meeting people.

But alas, the politicians threw it all away and continually throw up blockades which if humans don't reach for the stars in the next 40 years (or less) there will be no manned missions to anyplace. Thus no human survival beyond 2200.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:There is absolutely, positively no place on this god forsaken planet I would want to live.

And the only reason why earthlings currently do not have other options is due largely to politicians who constantly cut back on space agency programs thus cutting humanity from the far flung potential targets that mankind has had the technology to reach since at least the 1960's.

And even the far flung planets of this solar system are not a true option as we have had nuclear fission since the 1940's and could have built a generation ship to travel slowly to suitable targets, if not actually have relativistic vessels to reach the 12 or so stars in our immediate area of this galaxy arm.

So my option would be either Mars, where the whole prospect of being a founding father and an initial transformer would suit my personality and "life affirming" nature - meaning instead of planting hundreds of thousands of trees on this overcrowded dying planet I would have been working toward habitability and a whole new ecology to build.

OR

to be on one of those generation ships where I would have been far, far more interesting in procreating and leaving behind a heritage for future generations.

Instead the majority has this mindset that earth is room enough or that somehow the errors of 5,000 years of mistakes culminating in the current "lets destroy the earth as fast as we can" attitude which will lead to the extinction of 25 to 30 percent of the species on earth. Thankfully that percentage also include the infestation of humans that dwell on this world.

Ever wonder why it is out of the hundred to two hundred billion stars of this galaxy alone we haven't hear so much as a peep?

Its because species reach our present "advanced" state and then destroy them selves and their world, either through nuclear war, or fusion war, or through mismanagement of resources.

And those very, very few species who do manage to not blow themselves up view species such as ours as being a terminal cancer that no one in their sane mind should attempt to contact.

The scary part about earth's situation right now is if civilization collapses due to over population, war, climate change or some God-sent asteroid, human population will never be able to have another industrial revolution as all the easy to reach minerals are depleted and that would take a few million years of erosion, tectonic activity to turn around.

The future is not on earth. Period.

IF we mined the moon, the moon could sustain a human population of ten billion for 500 years (easy to reach mineral deposits.

If we mined the asteroid belt then we could sustain a ten billion population for over a thousand years, throw in the rings of Saturn, Jovian and Saturian Moons and that stretches to 5 thousand years.

I would love to be plying the asteroid belt as a prospector, mining mineral wealth beyond the dreams of any corporation who lays eyes on the thawing norther arctic or the Dark Continent of Africa with their piddling stock pile of a mere handful of mineral wealth.

I would manage quiet well in a small single person ship for the rest of my life - decades, with only minor episodes of meeting people.

But alas, the politicians threw it all away and continually throw up blockades which if humans don't reach for the stars in the next 40 years (or less) there will be no manned missions to anyplace. Thus no human survival beyond 2200.

It's all about Star Trek my friend, Star Trek Wink

Emiliano Wrote:Hipster.

If I could live anywhere in the world, I'd move a few blocks over into a historic brownstone on Fort Greene in Brooklyn with a nice stoop to relax on or a couple miles over for a glass box in the sky with a Central Park facing penthouse on Manhattan's upper west side.

Now more than ever I know I don't ever want to live outside of NYC. Preferably close to the A and Q trains.

Hipster.........
I am the angles that hold and surround you

I am the demon you're afraid to meet

VirgoMasquerade Wrote:Hipster.........

The hipster trains are the G and the L.

And your bitch ass wants to live in NYC....

As far as geographical city, no real preference. I like Denver just fine.

I do have a couple of fantasy homes, though. One is a typical pie-in-the-sky mansion thing. The other is an apartment revamped to look like the inside of a spaceship, circa 1950s-sci-fi movies. I suppose if I could afford the mansion, I could build a "guest house" in the back that looked like the spaceship.

Lex

Boston

I want to up my game, be more snobbish and even more cold-hearted, a complete ice princess. And be near kick ass colleges(unis)

You know, like [MENTION=17248]Chase[/MENTION]

but, in a city, I don't wanna be a countryboy
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Melbourne Australia
An eye for an eye

Weymouth and Portland

I live there. Seattle, yeah?

Although.... if money wasn't an issue and I could get decent wifi reception out there? I'd move into the mountains in a heartbeat. Say... a house in the woods above a small ocean-side town for supplies and mail purposes. Fireplace, running water and good plumbing, greenhouse, a decent sized garden for assistance in self-sustaining, large artist studio (in the house preferably), outdoor fire pit, lots of evergreens everywhere. Like that.