Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which sibling are you?
azulai Wrote:Cool survey!
I'm an oldest son and have 2 younger sisters. I know my mom didn't have any miscarriages.

Have you clicked your vote, Jake?

Yes, sir. Confusedmile:

Youngest son, an older brother, and my mother has had a couple miscarriages before me.

However, even if our poll contradicts the birth order hypothesis, it wouldn't be scientifically valid. Since you have to account for confounding variables and have a much larger sample size. The validity of the birth order phenomena is well established, the causative aspects are speculative.

http://myapollo.ucsd.edu/classes/bisp194...d_2001.pdf

Edit: Examples of certain confounding variables is that we can't look solely at homosexuals, we have to look at heterosexuals as well. This is because many children come from 1 or 2 child homes, so they will outnumber gays who are younger siblings even though there may be a higher likelyhood that younger siblings will be gay.

princealbertofb Wrote:Half sisters coming after you are of no consequence, not that they are not important to you as people... Remember it is WHO came before you that probably defines, maybe, why there is a tendency to gayness.
Please click on the poll, hoping one answer corresponds to you.

lol My sister came from my mum though?

How crude does that sound lol!!

Im bisexual and I have two older brothers along with a younger brother. Im the only queer one out of us four boys.

I'm the second in line. One older brother. I'm bi. My brother is straight as far as I know.
Does that make me a possible statistic? Lol

Ps. Make it really jacked up, my older brother and I married sisters. I am married to the older sister. She is straight. My older brother married the younger sister. She has some bi tendencies. Go figure....

I relate to myself as a bisexual male and have one brother older than myself.

I am a [COLOR="Magenta"]gay male and I have three older maternal half-sisters and one younger sister. [/COLOR]

Evilbunnie Wrote:I am a gay male and I have three older maternal half-sisters and one younger sister.

Click vote choice number four, since there's at least one sister before you.

OrphanPip Wrote:Youngest son, an older brother, and my mother has had a couple miscarriages before me.

However, even if our poll contradicts the birth order hypothesis, it wouldn't be scientifically valid. Since you have to account for confounding variables and have a much larger sample size. The validity of the birth order phenomena is well established, the causative aspects are speculative.

http://myapollo.ucsd.edu/classes/bisp194...d_2001.pdf

Edit: Examples of certain confounding variables is that we can't look solely at homosexuals, we have to look at heterosexuals as well. This is because many children come from 1 or 2 child homes, so they will outnumber gays who are younger siblings even though there may be a higher likelyhood that younger siblings will be gay.
I don't think this poll tries to capture likelihood of gayness happening among siblings in the population at large, because people responding will already identify themselves as gay or bisexual in orientation. That's a given.... What it will show is a proportion of people who are in fact not the second, or third or fourth etc sibling in their generation, but the first of that lineage. So while the evidence you are pointing to may still be statistically and scientifically true, it's not the same study really.

The answers provided by this poll and its participants will only be telling us how true this hypothesis is for our sample group. Are we majorly siblings born after a brother, or are we majorly first born children? etc...