Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who chooses not to have a funeral?
I've found something that appeals to me, and actually works for the environment.

It's a company called "Eternal Reefs" and your cremains (as well as the cremains of others) are mixed into concrete and made into forms. Small plaques are on the forms with the names of those inside them.

These forms are dropped into areas of the ocean where the natural reefs were destroyed, and they help to bring ocean life back to where it once was. The concrete gets covered by ocean plant life, and the holes in the forms allow for fish and other animals to live inside it.

[Image: Sarasota-reef-growth.jpg]
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

LJay Wrote:Roman Catholics are also not into cremation. It has to do with the "resurrection of the body" line in the creeds. It seems that God cant work with bone dust but needs more intact parts.

That is changing. I have a Aunt who's a nun and her instructions are to be cremated. Both my parents were strict Roman Catholics and chose to be cremated.

CellarDweller Wrote:I've found something that appeals to me, and actually works for the environment.

It's a company called "Eternal Reefs" and your cremains (as well as the cremains of others) are mixed into concrete and made into forms. Small plaques are on the forms with the names of those inside them.

These forms are dropped into areas of the ocean where the natural reefs were destroyed, and they help to bring ocean life back to where it once was. The concrete gets covered by ocean plant life, and the holes in the forms allow for fish and other animals to live inside it.

[Image: Sarasota-reef-growth.jpg]

That's an interesting idea CellarDweller but it would seem it's monly available in a very limited part of the world. Also, there are organisations in places where coral has been depleted (for whatever reason) that are dedicated to "re-seeding" coral where it's needed. Personally I concern myself in my daily life, in trying not to contaminate the oceans in the first place. Everything that goes down your lavatory in many cases, ends up in rivers and the seas and even if it's treated sewage, there are some things that sewage treatment plants just can't eliminate. For example, many people throw unused medicined down lavatories and they are a major contribution to contamination. Medicines that contain the female hormone estrogen are believed to be responsible for infertility in male fish.

Sorry, this has gone way off topic.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Genersis Wrote:Organs to be donated.
Body donated to science.
Friends and family can decided what to do after that; but I would strongly hope they don't do the whole sombre, wear black, play over-dramatic music, and sob the whole time thing

Have a baking competition, help demolish a building, have a segue race; be inventive, just don't make it all about sadness and despair, for goodness sake...

Yes, this....this.....

I would just be happy to not let religion be a part of it, even if I have to legally forced it out.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

im going for a burial with a headstone stating "well that was a waste of time" , i'll put on a free bar for those who drink and my funeral music is Slayer playing Hell Awaits just to rub the church up the wrong way

Cridders88 Wrote:. Scatter me somewhere I loved. That would be much more fitting.

I shall honour your last wishes Cridd.

[Image: f74a17ca28a989a5846a5f5b22c64a02.jpg]

What on earth are you insinuating Alvin? Haha

Well, I'm not totally sure funeral wise, like I don't particularly care either way. However, I know 100% that I would not want a wake. After being to a number of them in my life, I'd never want one. I think they're kinda bad for two reasons; if you die tragically, it just prolongs the grief and sadness of your loved ones. (Especially with those like 2 session or more ones) & if it's an old age death, it basically just is like a reunion gathering of family members and friends, and essentially a party with your corpse in the room. Either way, I would not want a wake. Funeral I'd probably also ultimately say I don't think it's necessary. I surely hope my death is an occasion that's very very very very far into the future, but when it happens, I really just want my organs donated, to be cremated and possible have my ashes spread somewhere I really love, and have a little ceremony.

Cridders88 Wrote:What on earth are you insinuating Alvin? Haha
That your ashes are probably tasty..
(Kidding)

@Anoxcu, we already have plans to make you into the crust for a cheesecake. I'll leave it to your imagination [O perversity!] to think what the filling will be.
I bid NO Trump!