Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cher - Chiquitita (Spanish Version)

Cher has released a new song - a version of ABBA's 'Chiquitita' but sung in Spanish. The proceeds will go towards fighting COVID-19 as UNICEF donations.

She previously released a covers album of ABBA songs which featured an English version of 'Chiquitita' as well.

The new song was released on all streaming services at midnight last night - 10th May.

“I knew I wanted to do something,” she told Billboard this week. “I actually started learning and rehearsing the song when I was in England last year but didn’t record it then. It was difficult!”

“When everything changed in the world I wanted to help.”

“This seemed like the right time to complete it. I’ve long admired UNICEF, especially their work educating young women. The actress Audrey Hepburn was a hero of mine and I was so proud when she became their first Goodwill Ambassador in 1988. Now, more than ever, it’s critical that we prioritize every child around the world as if they were our own.”

ABBA performed their original ‘Chiquitita’ at a UNICEF benefit concert in 1979 and donated half the proceeds from the song to the charity, until 2014, when all four members agreed to donate 100% of the proceeds.

Cher also announced the launch of the CherCares Pandemic Resource and Response Initiative (CCPRRI). The aim is to raise $1million to help the “chronically neglected and forgotten people” during the pandemic through the Entertainment Industry Foundation.

Cher told Billboard, “I shot my part of the video at home and they later sent me the final cut with children from around the world in it. It’s such a beautiful, optimistic experience. It’s great when you can see anything positive now because all of the turmoil we are in.”

Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.