Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who needs traffic lights?

Never complain about traffic again. Here’s a day in the life of one of the most ridiculous intersections in the world - Meskel Square, Addis Ababa, the capital of Ethiopia.

Who needs a roundabout, traffic lights or traffic cop for traffic control?

You have to watch this video. Frenetic traffic & no accidents or road rage.

However you may note that there were no crashes, bumper thumpers or fender benders and no pedestrians or cyclists who got flattened!

And for an added thrill, watch the pedestrians and bicyclists.

http://devour.com/video/meskel-square-intersection-/
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

OH MY GOD....I was on the edge of my seat...

Good video. I remember white-knuckling it in a taxi cab when I was in China some years ago and it wasn't quite as bad as this (though it was pretty bad too).

I think there was one accident at least, but the guy got out of the car...had a quick look and then everyone drove off again.

I'm just laying a bet that the dents in the cars in the that city tell the real story.

Good on the pedestrians though for not shitting their pants every time they step out into traffic.

I wasn't driving but I was a passenger in Cairo and after the third time I slid off the seat I just stayed on the floor. It felt safer somehow. When we were in Naples we spent a good hour or more on the hotel balcony, just watching the traffic.

Being a pedestrian i am in my rights to complain about all and any traffic

OMG, OMFG I went to Cairo with Jake 4 years ago and I thought the way they drive over there was insane, but now I've just realized there's worse. I was glued to my seat waiting for a major crash to happen. My god, I'd be so nervous driving over there or even walking. I looked at some pedestrian and they just cross the road without the care in the world. I'm flabbergasted.

I'd be like "HELL NO!", but everything seems to be flowing fairly smooth in the video. Maybe it's because Ethiopians have other things to worry about besides traffic lights, I bet they barely even think about driving through that mess.

Alex Wrote:OMG, OMFG I went to Cairo with Jake 4 years ago and I thought the way they drive over there was insane, but now I've just realized there's worse. I was glued to my seat waiting for a major crash to happen. My god, I'd be so nervous driving over there or even walking. I looked at some pedestrian and they just cross the road without the care in the world. I'm flabbergasted.

Cairo was terrifying, and not just because of the traffic. Egyptians also have some strange aversion to using their headlights.

I haven't been to India but we have many people from that part of the world in our area, and my friends and I noticed that - on this one high street where a lot of Indian shops are - the pedestrians walk right out into traffic in the middle of the block without looking. I'm guessing this is cultural, but we've learned to be extra vigilant. If a cop wanted to make his quota in an hour he should just stand on this one block with a pad of jaywalking tickets.

if this is something you have to pass through every day then you kinda learn how to do it, you'll know how that system works. it's no different than getting around in Paris or New York, really. rules are a little different but once you know them it'll come to you on its own.