Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who needs traffic lights?
Driving in Italy was pretty exciting, too... I remember being on a two-lane ramp off the Autostrada and having cars pass us driving down the dotted line between the two lanes.

Several those European nations have test towns where they have ripped out all signage including speed limit signs and the results were that with just basic road rules like which side of the road to drive on, traffic runs smoothly.

Site after site shows improved traffic flow, less accidents, less road rage.

Clearly this whole 'Rule and Law' thing isn't as helpful to humans as we would like to believe. Chaos and simple basic human rationality tends to work better than lines, signs and other intrusive 'helps' which distract people from the act of driving.

meridannight Wrote:if this is something you have to pass through every day then you kinda learn how to do it, you'll know how that system works. it's no different than getting around in Paris or New York, really. rules are a little different but once you know them it'll come to you on its own.

Euh you cannot be unimpressed by this Meridannight. I drove in Paris and although it's one heck of an adventure, what I just see there is just suicidal LOL. Come on, Even I an Australian was impressed, and yes, Aussies are horrible drivers too LOL. There's no system there, it's chaotic. Sure, you may get used to it, but yet it takes just a minute of inattention and bang the biggest crash in history just happened.

I would have shit my pants if I had to drive through that.

Also, they must invest a lot in really good brakes over there because I saw some people have to come to a complete stop inches from another car.

There you would need a complete 360 view and total concentration to drive through that intersection. Just think, if you sneezed during the intersection and lost concentration at the wrong moment, giant car accident waiting to happen.

Some how this one doesn't surprise me much. It reminds me back from my previous country, Vietnam.

CuriousPhoenix Wrote:I would have shit my pants if I had to drive through that.

Also, they must invest a lot in really good brakes over there because I saw some people have to come to a complete stop inches from another car.

There you would need a complete 360 view and total concentration to drive through that intersection. Just think, if you sneezed during the intersection and lost concentration at the wrong moment, giant car accident waiting to happen.

I was going to say something similar. I'd be almost just as afraid of driving through that mess as walking through it. Where I live, some of the pedestrians don't really give a fuck of where they're walking just because they always have the right of way. The texts on their phones are much more important than looking both ways when crossing the street. Of course the same could be said of drivers who text....ugh.

Alex Wrote:Euh you cannot be unimpressed by this Meridannight. I drove in Paris and although it's one heck of an adventure, what I just see there is just suicidal LOL. Come on, Even I an Australian was impressed, and yes, Aussies are horrible drivers too LOL. There's no system there, it's chaotic. Sure, you may get used to it, but yet it takes just a minute of inattention and bang the biggest crash in history just happened.

i am unmoved. doesn't seem that much of a deal to me. and it is not chaotic, although it might appear so. it is MORE chaotic than regulated traffic, but not chaotic per se. there's order those cars follow there, there's a system the drivers are aware of and are guided by.

i am hard to be impressed. last thing i was impressed by was Harold Sonny White who is attempting to achieve faster-than-light interstellar travel (believably so) at NASA. so this traffic picture doesn't move me.

I would do everything within my power to avoid that intersection.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

meridannight Wrote:i am unmoved. doesn't seem that much of a deal to me. and it is not chaotic, although it might appear so. it is MORE chaotic than regulated traffic, but not chaotic per se. there's order those cars follow there, there's a system the drivers are aware of and are guided by.

i am hard to be impressed. last thing i was impressed by was Harold Sonny White who is attempting to achieve faster-than-light interstellar travel (believably so) at NASA. so this traffic picture doesn't move me.

Excused me, but there's no system there. We may have not seen any accidents on this short video, but no, I don't believe that everyday goes smooth like that. It's fine that you're not impressed, but let's not be unrealistic. How about you go there and drive, watching a video sure may left you indifferent, how about you try it. Let go of Plato's philosophy for a moment and jump in and tell me if you're underwear are still clean afterward Smile

Jake Wrote:Excused me, but there's no system there. We may have not seen any accidents on this short video, but no, I don't believe that everyday goes smooth like that. It's fine that you're not impressed, but let's not be unrealistic. How about you go there and drive, watching a video sure may left you indifferent, how about you try it. Let go of Plato's philosophy for a moment and jump in and tell me if you're underwear are still clean afterward Smile

well i would, if Ethiopia was anywhere near where i lived. i'm not gonna travel there just to prove i can drive that thing. the system is there, it's pretty obvious to me. not my fault that you don't see it.