Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who remembers "freestyle"?
For the longest time, I felt like I was the only gay person who liked freestyle! Rolleyes

And then I joined a few freestyle forums and found other gay men and lesbians who liked it as well.

For those who are not familiar with the term "freestyle", if you went to the clubs from the mid 80s to the mid 90s, you know freestyle!

Some of the acts that were successful with the genre were Cover Girls, Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam, George Lamond, TKA , Sweet Sensation, and acts like that.

Man, I miss that music!

Ok, now that I've hit 50 posts, I should be able to post links and videos.

Here is a Freestyle compilation called "Forever Freestyle". Some of the songs on here are NOT freestyle, so I don't know who picked them. LOL

This should give you an idea of what freestyle is. I'll post a few videos from the top acts.

Exposé: This girl group was originally Laurie, Sandée (San-day) and Alé (Ah lay). They recorded two singles (Point of No Return & Exposed to Love) when they broke up. Producer Lewis Martinee had an album's worth of material ready, so he auditioned and found three new women to record as Exposé.

Ann, Jeanette & Gioia recorded the CD, and ended up with 4 Top 10 Hits and a platinum CD. Their second CD contained another 3 Top 10 hits, and a third CD gave them another Top 10 hit.

While their style of music varied, "Point Of No Return", "Come Go With Me", and "What You Don't Know" are all considered freestyle classics now.

Exposé still performs today, showing up at gay pride fests and supporting gay rights.

Sweet Sensation was formed in 1986 with Betty Lebron on lead, and sisters Margie & Mari Hernandez as back up. Their debut single (Hooked On You) became a big dance hit. After 3 more singles, Mari Hernandez left, and was replaced with Sheila Vega.

After Sheila joined Sweet Sensation, their (supposed to be) last single (Sincerely Yours) became a pop crossover hit. Their label re-released Hooked On You, shot a new video, and it went Top 20, just as Sincerely Yours did.

Sweet Sensation managed to get two more Top 20 hits, and snagged the opening act slot for the New Kids On The Block tour.

Sweet Sensation still performs in clubs today.

George Lamond

Originally a member of the group Loose Touch, George left the group to go solo, and signed with Colombia records.

He recorded three albums for them, his songs becoming freestyle classics. Later he was dropped from his label, and went on to record Salsa music, but still performs in clubs where he first had success, singing his freestyle hits.

Hailing from Miami, Stevie B. became one of the most popular freestyle performers, his songs crossing over to pop radio. He's best known for the ballad "Because I Love You (The Postman Song)"

Here are a few more videos of other acts that had freestyle songs that were huge in the clubs and on radio.

When i actually saw that tread the only thing that i could think of it was that

Im so young to know that... But i promise when i have more time i will check them properly Wink

P.S sorry for being out of topic.