Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's better?
Well, I'm at it again with the bare boards.

Who's the better philosopher:
Socrates
Plato
or Aristotle.

Decide now!

I think Plato by far... but that my opinion.

XRIMO Wrote:Well, I'm at it again with the bare boards.

Who's the better philosopher:
Socrates
Plato
or Aristotle.

Decide now!

socrates hates democracies
plato was banned by NATO
and UE throttled aristotle.

but seriously, i believe that socrates is the best. i really find his method of finding the answer to a problem very effective. by asking questions, using logical connections and enlarging the respective ideas one can eliminate those paths that lead to contradictions, therefore finding the right answer or at least narrowing down the possible solutions. actually i sort of have the same technique when i am in a discussion with people - calmly let them explain their opinions then guiding them towards my point so that they are faced with a contradiction to their original answer. i only do this if i have strong arguments to serve my point, otherwise i am of course open for debate. :biggrin: i have had some nice triumphs that way, especially with very stubborn and narrow-minded people. Confusedmile:

I think they all contribute something unique to philosophy.

I really never studied them but I'd say Plato, why I don't know.

Plato, I like his thoughts on the ideal world :3

Well Socrates never actually wrote anything, all we know about him and his philosophy is what Plato wrote, so really the philosophies of Plato and Socrates are more or less the same *shrugs*

That being said, I prefer Plato by far. Aristotle was a nice old man, but he really had no idea what the hell he was talking about with his concept of 1000 species and theatre....ect. Leave it to a Classics Minor to get all in depth Wink

I've always loved Plato's theory of the forms...and his cave allegory...its just awesome!

Yosuke Wrote:Well Socrates never actually wrote anything, all we know about him and his philosophy is what Plato wrote, so really the philosophies of Plato and Socrates are more or less the same *shrugs*

That being said, I prefer Plato by far. Aristotle was a nice old man, but he really had no idea what the hell he was talking about with his concept of 1000 species and theatre....ect. Leave it to a Classics Minor to get all in depth Wink

I've always loved Plato's theory of the forms...and his cave allegory...its just awesome!

Thank you, I've been waiting for someone to make that point.

Lol, I could go into even more depth since I have Honours in Classics. Where does your interest lay in the great world of Classics Yosuke?

Yosuke Wrote:Well Socrates never actually wrote anything, all we know about him and his philosophy is what Plato wrote, so really the philosophies of Plato and Socrates are more or less the same *shrugs*

Personally, I think that 'Socratic questioning' is of fundamental importance, its use to expose error, fallacy and meaninglessness is vital. Whether it is truly 'philosophy', as it tells us nothing about how the world is or how we should lives our lives is up for debate.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fred: Yes, a very valid point. I like to think of his philosphy as Thomas Jefferson's: "He who believes nothing is no farther from the truth than he who believes that which is wrong." Or something along those lines Big Grin

XRIMO: Lol what a can of worms to open. My interest is very scattered. As far as language goes, I prefer Greek. Right now I'm translating the Odyssey from Greek to english (rather we read in class from the Greek, no written translation), and its been fun...a lot of work but well worth it Big Grin. I'm very interested in women of the ancient world...such as Artemesia, Olympias, Gorgo, ect, I love Greek and Roman history. I have a deep fascination with the Roman Republic and how it disintigrated into the Empire under Agustus (I will be taking a class that focuses just on dear old Octavian in the spring lol), and that's basically it. I love Sophocles too...Antigone is one of my favorite plays...as is the Lysistrata lol. And what about you?