Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's better?
Yosuke Wrote:fred: Yes, a very valid point. I like to think of his philosphy as Thomas Jefferson's: "He who believes nothing is no farther from the truth than he who believes that which is wrong." Or something along those lines Big Grin

Not heard that quote before, but I strongly disagree with it, he who believes nothing is a lot closer to the truth than he who believes that which is wrong. For the man who believes nothing must be open to the possibility of that which really is the truth where as his counterpart specifically believes it to be false.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Yosuke Wrote:fred: Yes, a very valid point. I like to think of his philosphy as Thomas Jefferson's: "He who believes nothing is no farther from the truth than he who believes that which is wrong." Or something along those lines Big Grin

XRIMO: Lol what a can of worms to open. My interest is very scattered. As far as language goes, I prefer Greek. Right now I'm translating the Odyssey from Greek to english (rather we read in class from the Greek, no written translation), and its been fun...a lot of work but well worth it Big Grin. I'm very interested in women of the ancient world...such as Artemesia, Olympias, Gorgo, ect, I love Greek and Roman history. I have a deep fascination with the Roman Republic and how it disintigrated into the Empire under Agustus (I will be taking a class that focuses just on dear old Octavian in the spring lol), and that's basically it. I love Sophocles too...Antigone is one of my favorite plays...as is the Lysistrata lol. And what about you?

I am more in tune with the ancient Greeks than the Romans. I love the mythology and history in Greece. I also did translation courses (translated Euripides' The Bacchae, Plato's Apology). Though I did honours, I'm backed off from my masters after a minor breakdown I had because I was over stressed.
Though I wish I could have done my thesis since I had a really good topic concerning Alexander and Dionysos.

XRIMO Wrote:I am more in tune with the ancient Greeks than the Romans. I love the mythology and history in Greece. I also did translation courses (translated Euripides' The Bacchae, Plato's Apology). Though I did honours, I'm backed off from my masters after a minor breakdown I had because I was over stressed.
Though I wish I could have done my thesis since I had a really good topic concerning Alexander and Dionysos.

Wow, sounds like a good bit. Yeah my Homer class is taking a huge toll on me...that and my women of the ancient world class. I think I'm definitely going to call it quits after Augustus and just take my minor. A third major would definitely give me a breakdown

Anyways...way off topic :biggrin:

Plato and Aristotle both thought slavery was OK, though Plato thought that only foreigners should be used as slaves – so no problem there! Who was better then? Better for what? For when you run out of toilet tissue? And wasn't it Socrates who said “Crito, I owe a c0ck to Asclepius; will you remember to pay the debt?” Now at least Socrates appreciated c0ck! Come to think of it most Greeks did.
On a more serious note I prefer Albert Camus or Bertolt Brecht for their humanity!
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.” (Albert Camus)