Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Do People Give The Silent Treatment?
I'd love to get some thoughts on this post, maybe even a constructive argument. My post says it all. I once asked my mom, I said to her when she was growing up when you didn't have interest in someone or say you did and things went sour, did people give the silent treatment? She told me No, she said people talked on the phone or said face to face how they felt about the other person. That made me think then why has that changed today?

I realize the silent treatment is the easy way out. And perhaps it's myself, maybe it's just me, if anybody else feels like I do feel free to chime in. Maybe most if they get the silent treatment they just shrug it off and say whatever and move on. But for me, I feel when someone gives you the silent treatment, and I've been on the receiving end of it a couple times, it shows they lack balls for lack of a better word or terminology, and are childish. This is ridiculous of me to say but I would honestly rather a guy tell me "Get lost", "Not interested", "Go take a hike" etc. then say nothing at all.

Reason I say that is because if someone is honest and says what I said above, it may hurt, but you know where you stand, But when you get the silent treatment you're left with nothing but questions because you don't know where you stand. So sorry for this rant but again I can only speak for myself, but I feel getting the silent treatment hurts more than an actual rejection of I'm not interested.

Well if its a friend giving me the silent treatment for lets say a problem we had if im to blame I would initiate an apology, if its for no reason I give it right back, ive lost friends because we both did not budge. I don't like feeling like I have to beg for a friendship so I don't.

If you're talking about in a relationship or dating sense, umm if they give me the silent treatment (which btw I had it happen) I don't really let it get to me if a guy gets to meet me and silent treat my booty than its not worth figuring out why, so after the first date if I don't hear from them I never reach out eventually they contact me but once or twice we just moved on. The way I see it is if someone meets me and they don't want to pursuit anything serious im not going to crack my head open trying to figure out why because he wasn't worth it to begin with.

I know right? I don't know which is worse to me,the silent treatment or the rejection. But the world doesn't work like that. People choose the easiest way out. So silent treatment it is~ Rolleyes

I do the silent thing if I feel talking to them is akin to teaching a pig to sing.....it is a waste of time and it annoys the pig.

I hate the silent treatment. Just be honest.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

I hate the silent treatment as well

Oh, you really struck a chord with this one. I HATE the silent treatment. I just broke up with a guy who would use it to be controlling - I was supposed to keep saying, Why are you mad, What did I do, Talk to me please and etc. etc. --- screw that!
It is NOT ridiculous to prefer to be told straight out. Like you said, you know where you stand. And I agree that guys who try to weasel out of explaining themselves need to grow a pair.
I used to have a friend who did that and I finally got sick of him and just ignored him. And HE got mad at ME about it.
I feel like it's a power play. Like he's saying, Here I am and I'm way too cool to bother explaining to you - and I'm supposed to be like a puppy, jumping up and down and begging for attention? Like I said - screw that.
Life is too short to worry about idiots!
(Thanks, you provided material for my Rant Of The Day, I can be calm now lol_

I hate the silent treatment. And if Im trying to break the silent treatment, it boils my blood when the other person insists on continuing it.

I swear my SO does it just to wind me up sometimes LoL

ObW
X

I wish a few people would give me the silent treatment. It is a dream of mine.

Silent treatment leaves you wondering what is really going on - that's why I don't understand people who use it. It's not an option for me and I don't think it's polite way to show to someone that you are not interested.