Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I like older gay men
dynamodean Wrote:I love listening to older gay men share their stories. I have a gay uncle whom I look up to and was very instrumental in helping my coming out as a teenager. His life stories and experiences never cease to fascinate me. The difficult times, the adversity, the pushback, and the triumphs...so much to share and I just absorb it all like a sponge. I wish I had more older gay men in my life.

You can probably make that happen, Dynamodean. Just seek them out.

In the series of books to have read, I remember Larry Kramer's Faggots making a lasting impression on me.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/109395.Faggots
[Image: 109395.jpg]
Larry Kramer's Faggots has been in print since its original publication in 1978 and has become one of the best-selling novels about gay life ever written. The book is a fierce satire of the gay ghetto and a touching story of one man's desperate search for love there, and reading it today is a fascinating look at how much, and how little, has changed.

Like People In History might also be a good read. Felice Picano.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44918...in_History
[Image: 449189.jpg]
Cousins Roger and Alistair become lifelong friends when they meet as boys in 1954. They discover their homosexuality and their lives intersect against the backdrop of 20th-century gay culture, from the beachboy surfer days of the 1960s, to Greenwich Village AIDS activism in the 1990s.

Virge Wrote:oh yeah, that grumpy old man...........

Yeh but I found out something.... they didn't become old then become grumpy.
They were that way from the day they were born.

I feel you, bruther!

I love old in general (non creepy) my grandfather stepmoms side is very very old he is 95 and I LOVE HISTORY. He went into the army when he was like 16(?) but he fought in WW2. The stories he tell are rather different from what ive read (he was in the pacific rather than europe) and tells a much darker side. But yes older people are awesome, when I was younger and got my haircuts with dad at his barber there were always Vietnam vets and such there, always telling stories between each other Smile. I remember asking one "What was the most memorable moment of the war for you?" I expected blood and guts, some big battle or something, but the answer, turkey, apparently the usa made sure our soldiers had turkey on thanksgiving and of everything, he remembers that meal and eating it with his friends more than anything. Responses like that ... just amazing ... so to all the older guys who made this life for us youngsters that much more easy not just in military and such but even on making being gay somewhat tolerable for the younger generations and for all the wisdom you share! THANK YOU! ^_^

"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Newton