Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can't I get any dates?
Hi,

I've currently been in a very long drought of dating and sexual activity. My last real dating relationship was two years ago, which was very happy for me and lasted 5 months. After that I entered into mostly sexual relationship with another guy. This one was very intermittent for a year and eventually ended a few months ago when he went away to college. During this time I only went on a single real date with another guy (last Valentine's), it resulted in some cuddling but he didn't want to go on more dates. I think I didn't try to get more dates because my sexual urges were well satisfied (from the FWB), but even so I still had no luck when I tried to get dates.

So now I've graduated college and did not have a great end of the year. I've been living at home in my parents' basement (yup I know) simply because I'm dirt poor and cannot yet afford to live by myself. I'm also very bad at socialization and networking, so I do not even have friends to room with which would make living out in a city much more affordable. I only recently have begun my first paid job since last summer (a week ago). Things are even more depressing when almost all my friends / people that I know are all living by themselves well off in big cities like New York City and have well paying jobs ($60,000+), so it hurts my confidence a lot and also challenges my self perception.

But even when I lived at school and had my own room and was making a fair bit of money, I still couldn't get any dates. In fact I never actually dated anyone from my university in my four years. Isn't that incredible? I'd just get ignored or told that I was confused when I would ask. When I say dated I mean went on more than a single date that resulted in some kind of relationship (even friendship).

Now I am not gorgeous or an apollo but I do not think I am hideously ugly either and at least considered cute by some folk. My body is also decently toned as well. However I certainly never stand out physically (rather short) and am very socially awkward when in groups. But I am certainly not a terrible boyfriend or inexperienced in sex/love/relationships; when I was a freshman I was in a serious relationship for a year that only ended because my boyfriend basically moved out of the country and it became impossible to maintain. I also do pretty awesome things; for my last boyfriend (who lived far away during the breaks) I took a flight to his home and surprised him, staying with him for over a week. That was one of my best memories when answered the doorbell. I also once got a date when I handed a guy a piece of paper with my phone number (I introduced myself and stuff of course).

Now I know there are plenty of guys who are in a similar living situation as me but of course they still get dates, etc. though obviously it's not really ideal. Also, there are lots of guys I know whom I'd consider not very attractive yet are doing pretty well.

So what could I be doing wrong? Why isn't anyone interested in me or responding to my date requests / ignoring me? Is there additional information I can provide that could help in answering my problem so I can work on changing things so I can have an actual love life again?

Well....I think you should throw the attractive/not attractive reasoning out the window and focus on the vibe/connection aspect of human interaction.....

The reason...attractiveness is completely subjective and comparing yourself to anyone else will be a nightmare as time goes along...so remove yourself from that particular route if you can.

Other than that...I don't really get a good picture or any real clue why you are having a hard time meeting guys other than the socially awkward thing so maybe you could expand on that a bit more?

I think Everything Eastie said is good advice and surprised he didn't tell more since he's a retired former professional pick up artist with a PhD in it.

But I'm looking at this another way....
All the problems you say you've had getting dates and meeting guys just sticks in my head and I can't get it out. I'm sitting here picking it all apart trying to figure it out. What could the problem be?

Anytime a guy starts talking about other people not doing what he would expect them to do or be like.... it's easy to see what the problem is... It's not all the other people who have one problem. It's the guy not looking at himself and asking, "what could I do better?" I don't care who you are, how much money you have, how pretty you are or how smart you are, there's always some shit about you that needs to be improved.... except in my case and I'm already perfect. hahahahhahahahaha! (like hell I am!)

If I ever write a book of my life there's going to be whole chapter about a guy named David in it. He hated me when I moved back home and I just let it alone. One night I had enough liquor in me to catch him and talk about it cuz I really wanted to understand why he hated me so bad. So he had enough liquor in him to give it to me like a double barreled shotgun to the gut.

I'm loud, too loud, too cheerful to be real, too outspoken and inconsiderate about the things I say to others that might hurt their feelings, too sure of myself and too busy doing things to impress others. He was almost right about all that except for one big thing but I didn't bother to try to explain things to him. I just let it go. I can't pump sunshine up everyone ass.

I don't do things to impress anybody. I do them to say to myself, "holy f**k!!!! I really did do that, didn't I?" That's where the confidence comes from. I'm loud because I'm always happy.... except when somebody throws a bag of shit in my life and I get over that in seconds... as far as me being inconsiderate ... that's not me being inconsiderate. I don't say things to intentionally hurt anyone. I just try to speak the speak the truth and there are boat loads of people who spend their lives avoiding looking at the truth...specially about themselves.

About 2 years passed and David got my email and said he wanted to invite me to his place... to talk. About what? He said it was too complicated for email or the phone. So we planned to meet up. I got there and he got straight into it. He wanted me to give him a list of everything he could do to improve himself. I told him that was something he needed to ask his friends to do. He said he'd asked them all and they lied... trying not to hurt his feelings. He figured as inconsiderate as I am I'd be honest. Well Duhhhhhhhh. So I remember thinking he was going to get mad and kick me out but I went for it.

he didn't get mad at all. He was writing things down as I said them and then getting me to help him work out a game plan to get them all done. next thing we knew it was 1am on a Friday night and he and I went out and finished getting drunk.

The next morning I got an email from him --- not thanking me but telling me he was already working on the list. After about 3 months david was out and about being louder than me, getting all the sex he wanted and having guys chasing him.... all because he improved himself and worked past all his little issues rather than letting his issues dominate his life. Since then he found a guy, moved off to Minneapolis and is living a fun life. Now he and his guys are best friends with me and mine.

So what I'm trying to get at it that all you need to do is either look at yourself with a critical eye or get some loud rude inconsiderate bastard like me to do it for you and help you see how you can break out of the rut you are in.

I'm done. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Virge.

sethmachine Wrote:Hi,
Hello Seth. I'll be blunt, but not cruel. I nearly always try to tell the people who post sincere questions that I care about their well being. If I didn't, I wouldn't respond to your post. Still, fair warning, I like the hard truth.

Quote:I've currently been in a very long drought of dating and sexual activity. My last real dating relationship was two years ago, which was very happy for me and lasted 5 months.
Plateaus happen for everyone, sexual, dating, or employment. The first relationship was a good start. Learn from the memories of being happy. Happy memories remind us that the bad times don't last forever.

Quote: After that I entered into mostly sexual relationship with another guy. This one was very intermittent for a year and eventually ended a few months ago when he went away to college. During this time I only went on a single real date with another guy (last Valentine's), it resulted in some cuddling but he didn't want to go on more dates. I think I didn't try to get more dates because my sexual urges were well satisfied (from the FWB), but even so I still had no luck when I tried to get dates.
Another plateau. Going from serious relationship to serious relationship doesn't give people the time to decompress from the leftover meatloaf of the previous meal. Understanding your sexual needs were met and thus little dating was needed seems like a sound self analysis. You understand yourself very well in many ways. I'll ask this: Is a relationship so important to you that you can't find other ways to fulfill your time and make yourself happy?

Quote:So now I've graduated college and did not have a great end of the year. I've been living at home in my parents' basement (yup I know) simply because I'm dirt poor and cannot yet afford to live by myself. I'm also very bad at socialization and networking, so I do not even have friends to room with which would make living out in a city much more affordable.
Due respect, this reeks of self pity and a lack of motivation. There are answers staring you in the face. Congratulations on graduation. This means that you are supposedly smart now. Getting a good job requires both socialization and networking skills. Don't rely on luck or that a magic job will appear before your eyes. There is no such thing a a job genie.

Quote:I only recently have begun my first paid job since last summer (a week ago). Things are even more depressing when almost all my friends / people that I know are all living by themselves well off in big cities like New York City and have well paying jobs ($60,000+), so it hurts my confidence a lot and also challenges my self perception.
From you tone it sounds like this first job is not what your desire. You are being given advise by someone more familiar with depression than your average bear, Boo Boo. Yours is temporary. Envy is a healthy normal response when faced with temptations from outside sources. Envy resulting in depression is a recipe for jealousy. No one wears that shade of green well. BTW, envy is non productive and often an illusion. What you believe you desire from a distance is often not what you would want if you were aware of all the facts. People usually show the best side of themselves; what lay beneath is probably complicated with detail you would not covet. If you have the credentials, take action. Look for a job with the pay scale you desire. No one is going to do it for you. Use your friends in the city. There is no shame in asking for assistance.

Quote:But even when I lived at school and had my own room and was making a fair bit of money, I still couldn't get any dates. In fact I never actually dated anyone from my university in my four years. Isn't that incredible? I'd just get ignored or told that I was confused when I would ask. When I say dated I mean went on more than a single date that resulted in some kind of relationship (even friendship).
Move out of your parents basement and privacy issues toward dating will resolve. Make no mistake, even if your parents accept your sexuality, it is a different beast to bring a guy home, especially if you intend intimacy. Not dating anyone at university in four years strongly leads me to believe your priorities lay elsewhere. Men and women hellbent on dating, date. I'm sure you know the women at university exclusively hunting for their Mrs. degree. Believe me, there is no shortage of hormonal men at college. Normal dating patterns consist of one night trysts. You have to kiss a lot of frogs to find the prince fit for a relationship. Withholding your friendship from casual dates speaks to your ability to use good judgement. Not every Tom, Dick, and Harry is worth investing the time to cultivate a friendship.

Quote:Now I am not gorgeous or an apollo but I do not think I am hideously ugly either and at least considered cute by some folk. My body is also decently toned as well. However I certainly never stand out physically (rather short) and am very socially awkward when in groups.

You have a good handle on your appearance. Not standing out in groups and social awkwardness bespeak self confidence issues. If you don't believe in yourself no one else will either. That applies to job interviews as well.

Quote:But I am certainly not a terrible boyfriend or inexperienced in sex/love/relationships; when I was a freshman I was in a serious relationship for a year that only ended because my boyfriend basically moved out of the country and it became impossible to maintain.
I am not confused. Either you didn't date all four years at university, or when you were a freshman you had a year long serious relationship with a guy who moved out of the country. In addition at the beginning of this post you stated that your last real relationship was two years ago, yet you just finished university. Did you take breaks? Explain.

Quote:I also do pretty awesome things; for my last boyfriend (who lived far away during the breaks) I took a flight to his home and surprised him, staying with him for over a week. That was one of my best memories when answered the doorbell. I also once got a date when I handed a guy a piece of paper with my phone number (I introduced myself and stuff of course).
You have great dating etiquette. Remembering to maintain the romance with bestowed gifts of time and money are thoughtful and generous on your part. Have awareness whether these gestures are wanted. Some guys feel smothered by intense romantic gestures. You are not to blame; you're intentions are well meaning. Sometimes men are simply emotionally overwhelmed too easily. It is easy to miss if your partner doesn't want you to see his discomfort. In addition, giving someone your name and phone number on a sheet of paper is called a trick sheet. Essentially it means you're interested in sex, not necessarily a long term relationship. This makes me wonder whether you are confusing men's intent toward you.

Quote:Now I know there are plenty of guys who are in a similar living situation as me but of course they still get dates, etc. though obviously it's not really ideal. Also, there are lots of guys I know whom I'd consider not very attractive yet are doing pretty well.
Ideal equates to perfection, or at a minimum, near perfection. Most men will fall short of this measure. Those you consider unattractive yet still date regularly have self confidence. The ability to be comfortable in your own skin and let it show is an attractive quality.

Quote:So what could I be doing wrong? Why isn't anyone interested in me or responding to my date requests / ignoring me? Is there additional information I can provide that could help in answering my problem so I can work on changing things so I can have an actual love life again?
Self confidence will attract others to you. The trick is finding someone with a level of self confidence that matches your own. Be aware of a potential date's comfort level. Some guys will run if the gifts you give them are too lavish; it probably appears to them that you have a more intense level of commitment to the relationship than they are comfortable with, nor ready for. Gain self confidence, find the place you want to live, the job you want, and learn to be comfortable around people and project that feeling.

Good Luck Seth. Don't allow my demeanor to discourage you from asking for help. Many people here will offer great advise. And you're always welcome.

Its going to be harder to meet a good man for dating if you are not meeting any men at all.

Understand?

Ah shit this'll probably be me in another year... all I can say is right now I'm trying to expand my friend network the best I can and have a good time, it's been hard though. Sometimes it's just not meant to happen.

Dates should not be hard to find. I usually see them on the top shelf in the baking goods aisle. They make wonderful pudding, but are very, very sweet.
I bid NO Trump!

Quote:.

So what could I be doing wrong? Why isn't anyone interested in me or responding to my date requests / ignoring me? Is there additional information I can provide that could help in answering my problem so I can work on changing things so I can have an actual love life again?

Date requests & ignoring you? Are you randomly asking guy's out on some online app.?

Forget the apps. They're cold, impersonal, shallow, and for hookups - not dating.

Join gay groups/clubs. Get to know people. Talk to them. Interact with them. Give them a chance to get to know you.

Ask them out in person.

[Image: talk-to-hand-face-ain-t-hearing-closeup-...851317.jpg]

[SIZE="7"][COLOR="Red"]
You want a 100% sure way
to get all the dates you want???

[Image: Date_palm_tree.jpg]

TALK TO THE PALM, SWEETIE!
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I feel you. Sad