Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do guys say _____ when they break up?
So every time I've ever broken up with a guy or they have broken up they say we should be friends, hang out or stay in contact. Sometimes we stay in contact for a little while, but it always fizzle and they disappear from all contact after a while. Whats the point?

It's using niceties and letting you down easy, trying to let you go and not be seen as a jerk. Sure, what's the point, but when you already know this, why not just treat it as a goodbye instead of taking the words seriously? Although it does usually help to end it without a lot of bad feelings because if you live in the same area there is a chance you could be bumping into each other in your social circles, so it is nice to not have friction in those situations.

Well guys say that sometimes I guess for almost the same reason Iceblink has said... because they don't want to seem too nasty. They will eventually break from contact though maybe... But, recently there was one guy... which said 'let's be friends' instead of going out, but there is still some social conflict... because he happens to have similar friends that I have ;~; but he was bi-sexual X3

I would normally assume it's because they want to remain friends....

Yeah I don't really get the point. My most recent ex and I were not that serious and we kinda just fizzled into nothingness. He said something along those lines, and I hate when I hear it. People shouldjust skip that and say goodbye if they don't want to actually hang out.

Just hangovers from more mannerly days, Radbot. Try not to let it bother you.

Some people find it an easier syndrome to fit than telling your person of no further interest that you can't stand him any more.
I bid NO Trump!

Sometimes you can stay friends. One of my exes and I are still good friends.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

CellarDweller Wrote:Sometimes you can stay friends. One of my exes and I are still good friends.
Ditto

Also, do you know how many threads there are about "how can I do x to him without hurting his feelings?" Even if the relationship didn't work out long term, people do still care, most of the time, and don't want to hurt the other one.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

I think I might ask this one to the movies sometime next week to see boxtrolls. I don't know if he actually meant to be friends, but I can say there is no romantic feelings between the two of us. There wasn't anything bad between us. I don't know if he meant it, but I might as well find out.

It's a way to seem nice while doing something painful. It might help ease the pain to hear it and still be friends.