Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do so many condemn or dislike bisexuality?
Cuddly Wrote:I only understand what I can feel or atleast kinda of explain. Bisexuality I cannot feel and I certainly cannot explain it.
I really really really have nothing against bisexuals..
Not understanding is not the same as condemning or disliking. I like to make it known that I do not understand it, just so that maybe somebody will say something that will finally make it snap in my head, so that I can finally understand it. The shades that Woolly (atleast I think it was woolly) showed me with a picture on another thread helped, but it didn't really complete the puzzle.

Today, in class, I heard a discussions going on about no guys being bisexual. I scoffed, cause I know it to be untrue. But as I'm a shy kind of introvert little chaser I didn't interject myself into the conversation by shouting across the class room. The discussion continued into threesomes, which was very amusing.

Explaining a sexual orientation seems difficult, like, I'm gay but if someone asked me what being gay is or well, explain how it's possible,i couldn't

Firstly, as previous people have mentioned, I don't believe people are gay or straight, I think it's a sliding scale. When we say straight, I believe we mean "mostly attracted to women" and when we say gay, we mean "primarily attracted to men". But I think it's a grey area.

Having said that, we don't like in a tolerant society. From experience I believe there are a lot of people out there who are maybe, say, 90% gay, but repress it and just focus on the minor 10% and try to have straight relationships. Then these people might come out in their 30s or 40s, and say they are bisexual, when actually what they mean is that they are pretty much gay but have never accepted it. I think it's easier for some people to come out as being bi, than gay.

This, I believe, is different from someone who has accepted they are attracted to both genders from the outset.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wish people could just accept & admit what they are - don't say bi if you mean gay - but I know it's not always easy at all.

Chimpy Wrote:Firstly, as previous people have mentioned, I don't believe people are gay or straight, I think it's a sliding scale. When we say straight, I believe we mean "mostly attracted to women" and when we say gay, we mean "primarily attracted to men". But I think it's a grey area.

yes . we say that because only men exist.
when i say "straight" i mean , "attracted almost exclusively to the opposite gender." and when i say "gay" i mean , "attracted almost exclusively to the same gender."

In addition to stereotypes there are some who believe that a bisexual will eventually break a gay person's heart to be with someone of the opposite sex...because society encourages them to do so. And given that there are a few gay people who hate being gay wishing it wasn't a choice I expect some of them are insanely jealous that for this person it "is a choice."

One bisexual did say orientation was a choice and personally I think she was rightly called on it, but she did at least clarify she meant for her and not that it was orientation but she was equally comfortable with men and women (not to be confused with "anyone and everyone").

Well I identified as a bisexual for over a year. It wasn't because I was afraid of coming out it's because I thought I was. There may be lots of his like me. It doesn't mean that there aren't guysthat are really bisexual.

megumidesu Wrote:yes . we say that because only men exist.
when i say "straight" i mean , "attracted almost exclusively to the opposite gender." and when i say "gay" i mean , "attracted almost exclusively to the same gender."
Yes, apologies. I was speaking from a male perspective and that wasn't my exclusive intention.

I read some psychological articles on this some years ago.

As far as some psychological aspects are concerned........it's not so much as something people believe in or not.....it's more to the point that "bi" people are thought of as emotionally unstable people. They cannot make up their minds on what it is they want, therefore they cannot be trusted with anything dealing with sexuality or relationships.

In all societies, regardless of "gay" or "straight", you are supposed to PICK ONE and BE IT. You pick one gender and you stick with it. Liking both genders makes you "unstable" as you have no capacity to make a choice and stick with it. Therefore, you are deemed unable to perform as a functioning human being, because you are inept and/or unable to make serious choices.

Thats not my personal opinion.......I've given that many times and can be found on previous similar posts.

This is from psychological standpoints from articles on the subject, I have read in the past.

Haven't really read the thread, so this may have already been addressed, if so, my apologies. But I think some people, both gay and straight, subconsciously view the existence of bisexual people as a threat. The people who feel threatened are people who are not one hundred percent sure or comfortable with their own label/sexual identity as a fully gay or straight person. I would suspect that most people are closer to some degree of bisexual than completely hetero or homosexual, but we feel pressured to "pick a side" as it were, so it'd be easier to just pretend that true bisexuality just doesn't exist.

Does any of this make sense? Probably not. I haven't had my morning coffee yet. But I did have a great dream about flirting with this cute guy in a supermarket last night. But at the end of the dream he wouldn't give me his number! What the fuck was that? It was MY dream for fuck's sake.

Anyway... yeah, bisexuality. It exists. Deal with it.

I've always felt that bisexuality was as legitimate as straight or gay.

I can give you a 'reason' why some in the gay community may have a dislike for bisexuality.

What appears in italics below is an except from the book "It's Not Mean If It's True", which was written by gay author Michael Thomas Ford. The title of the chapter is "Playing It Straight".

A number of years ago I was asked to appear on a television talk show to discuss why so many people in the gay community have a problem with bisexuals. I don't remember why I was chosen to speak on behalf of annoyed queers everywhere, as I wasn't particularly bothered by bisexuals, but there you are. Probably I just thought it would be fun to be on television, or they promised me lunch or something. I do remember that I bought new shoes for the occasion.

When it was my turn to talk, I explained that a lot of gay people resent the fact that many bisexuals only consider themselves a part of the queer community when they're in same-sex relationships, and want support of a larger group, but when they're involved with people of the opposite sex, they forget all about the queer community and enjoy the privileges the appearance of heterosexuality affords.

This went over very well with the large gay contingent in the audience, but the glamorous bisexuals on the panel, all of whom wore leather and sunglasses for some reason, pouted because they knew they'd been found out.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

havikryan Wrote:My apologies, I never ment you could't be faithfull, what migemu said is what I tried to say but failed misserably apparently.

ahahahaha don't worry Smile