Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do you love where you live?
I don't actually love where I live. I want to move back to the Pacific Northwest, which is my true home. But... I guess the food here is pretty damn good (unless you love seafood). You really can't find better Mexican food, even in Mexico.

because I don't have write 72 paragraphs of bullshit to convince anyone that Gold Coast in Australia is the best.

I've lived in more than 12 different places because of my parents jobs and also because of my frequent internships. I've lived in 4 different countries so far, so I don't really have a sense of home other than home is where the heart(my friends) is. Well, for now, I have attachment to Toronto, but it might change later. I love a place mainly because of the interesting people, nature and shops surrounding the area.

Well where I live the winter is horrible damp and cold. The wind chills the bones. I love this cos it keeps all most of the shit people away. Also I love that I live beside a stream. I love the lush green that never goes away. Even Autumn can take the leaves. Also I love that it's spring atm. I love the great green harbor we have. I love playing at all the beaches. I love the mudflats. I love that there is only 2 degrees of separation in my town.
I quite love it here.

My children live here in Ohio.

Friends I've known since childhood live here.

My mom moved to Florida.

All great reasons. If not for the ones I love I'd move to some other place. California sounds fantastic, but I've been fascinated with Australia for some time. Maybe when I'm older.

I can't really say I love the place where I live....... but it's ok. The nature is beautiful.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:You feel.... Oh that ain't going to fly sonny boy, I want links - I want demonstrable proof that California is 'overrated'. I gave you links and there are many more where those came from to demonstrate that California is the most awesome of states in the whole Union.

If you have never been to California you can't really say any of that pure horse apple stuff you are trying to pass off as 'fact'

We have large cities and a 30min-1 hour drive you hit small towns with populations around or less than 1000.

http://www.city-data.com/city/California3.html

Arkansas for comparison: http://www.city-data.com/city/Arkansas3.html

We have national and State Forests and Park-lands coming out the yang yang.

Behind my back yard is part of the Pacific trail. I can literally swim across the river and be in a state park and then I can proceed to walk all the way to Oregon or Mexico on the Pacific Crest Trail. All the way up to Canada if the mood strikes. Can you get to another nation from where you are just by walking a trail?

California: 163,696 sq miles (423,970 km²)
Arkansas: 53,179 sq miles (137,733 km²)

Coastlines:
California: 840 miles
Arkansas: oops your land locked there sweetie.

Highest peak:

California: Mt. Whitney: 14,505 ft (4421 m)

Arkansas: Mount Magazine 2,753 feet

You call that a mountain - We have HUGE mountains, two ranges worth of them (Sierra Nevada and Coastal) our foot hills are taller than your pathetic little "mountain".

Honestly, what is there to discover in Arkansas besides 100% humidity, alligators, deadly snakes and inbred hillbillies? Rofl

You want adventure - We got it. We got a sampling of every single culture and perceptive you can think of. Hell just one of our cities (San Francisco) is a city composed of tiny towns with each district being culturally biased - Little China, Little Japan, Little Italy, Mission District.... - Adventure, we can pack a hella lot of adventure in a 5 mile by 5 mile peninsula of land imagine how much more we can pack on the 163,696 sq miles of California.

Southern Hospitality, My goodness you just have no idea what that is until you come out my way. Here in the Center of California we got southern hospitality just oozing out of every poor, from Rednecks and Cowboys, to sweet tea - and a lot of people who talk with a decided southerish twang.

Hell we even have Religious Fundamentalists that will hate you as hard as any Arkansan - And not only do we have Christian fundamentalists, we also have Muslim Fundamentalists in case you are tired of Christian hate and need a change of venue. bored with Going to Hell, well just walk down the road a peace and you will have a Jihad!

Adventure - Lordy, Lordy you have no idea how much adventure can be found.

There is so much do to, see and discover we have whole television programs that have ran for over decade on California's Gold. All that show does is go from place to place revealing the vast diversity in everything California has.

so does Arkansas have its own TV show?

Doubtful, Its so lame it doesn't even have its own name, it stole it from Kansas and that was simply because some inbred hill billy pointed north and said 'That's Kansas' and this is 'our Kansas'.:tongue:

I honestly just dislike states that are "popular". I find the idea of living in California to be too expected and I do not want to live an expected life. I want to shatter expectations.

I dislike the western United States. I'm into eastern deciduous forests and Atlantic style wetlands (Arkansas has some) and you all don't have them.

BTW, we pronounce it as "Our Can Saw"

Bottom line, I was born and raised on the eastern half of the USA. The western half seems unfamiliar, strange and ugly to me.

In my corner of California:

* Less than an hour from the beach
* About an hour from San Francisco
* 4 hours (by car) from winter snow
* Overnight coastal fog keeps summer temps reasonable - most of the time
* Almost never gets below freezing
* Redwoods in the Santa Cruz Mountains are gorgeous
* Best Indian cuisine in the U.S.

And that's all including what BA mentioned in his first post on the thread.

Drewsdad Wrote:Have you ever travelled ? Where have you visited ?
I thought the purpose of this thread was to discuss what it is you like about where you live not slag off places you don't or won't like this is just another arch ken saw is the only good to live in the world thread!

Yes gurl I was thinking the same thing. However really, it's not. I mean, they even spell their name wrong if they pronounce it Arkansaw

Because growing up, I always thought it was Arkansas, and pronounced the same way.

But never the less, I shall indulge, for the sake of participating Sheep .

Bermy

Is de best, because we have;

> We have no kidnapping & major murders (there have been murders, but not to the scale of larger countries)
> Year-round Summer with minor drops in temperature to like 65F
> A diverse, but very unique culture
> One of The most under appreciated and researched English so far
> A very friendly and kind nature (however we can still be bitches lol)
> We are very courteous and respectful
> Beautiful Pink Sand beaches and the best waters in the world( to me anyway)
> The best houses in the world (again to me)

but we have a few Cons;

> Very community-orientated, nearly every Bermudian knows another one and their business
> Some violence, due to American & Jamaican influence I think
> Very Clique-y, you're either in or out and very little room for inbetween
> The oddest ways of saying things, which makes people look at us funny lol

But really, to me Bermy is my rock literally and my home. So of course it's the Best to me.

I'm sure there are better places, but they won't amount to my island home.

So there. Also, there's so much more about us that I love, that I can't even express into words, so I don't think I'm really doing us justice xDLurking

trialbyerror Wrote:I live in South Africa

Pros
Great weather
Beautiful country
Gay rights protected in the constitution.

Cons
Highest levels of violent crime anywhere. Rape of 2 y/o's murder of the elderly and necklacing (put an old tyre round your neck, pour in petrol & set it alight)

No policing. Honest cops cannot get partners because the partner's will "go hungry"
bribes are referred to as coldrink (personel experience)

Hospitals are virtually non existent (Even Nelson mandala's ambulance broke down on the way to hospital)

Education has fallen apart, The last 2 generations are virtually unemployable due to the experiment of outcome's based education, by a former illiterate minister (literally)

Corruption and morality in the government is the order of the day. Due to aids (a legacy of another minister's belief that African potato and beetroot can cure aids, we have the phenomenon of child headed households, but our president can build himself a private compound costing R200 000 000 (yes 200 Million)

Para-statals Railways / Airline / electricity are bankrupt

There is no water security as acid mining waste pollutes most of the subterranean water

Sigh.... The list goes on

Oh, A bright light at the end of the tunnel !

According to our eloquent president we have better toll roads than Malawie

What you guys think of this place?

I have family there. I find the atmosphere very special...
I felt ill at ease when I came there. It's a bit delicate, but I had the impression that the apartheid was still in mentalities.
Maybe it's just the social background in which is my family which gave me this impression and it may not be like that actually...