Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does my hair matter so much?
I've worn my hair relatively long for most of my life. However, due to genetics, it's begun to thin out in the front. This has made it increasingly hard to comfortably wear my hair the way I used to. Correspondingly, I've started to wear it in less "fabulous" ways. Usually just parting it both ways to the side, which has been more or less comfortable.

Two of my past / current partners have openly voiced their displeasure with how I wear my hair now, and both have asked me to wear it like I have in the past.

This is sort of one of my greatest fears, because I can't really control my hair (loss). It's bothered me, but it's bothersome when people actually ask about it, which make my fears seem really true.

Knowing that others like to see your hair a certain way is a good indication that it looks good that way and perhaps that you are worrying needlessly. If you are getting input from your partner it is probably honest. They may be saying that the new way does not flatter you.

Yeah, getting older and dealing with such stuff is a pain but there is no sense worrying. It just happens.
I bid NO Trump!

Did you voice the issues with your hair to your partner?

Have you consulted a professional ?

You could always ask your current partner how he think you would look shaved...

Back in February I had a friend give me a hair cut. Oh yeah, I was trained he said. Little did I know he was trained only in buzz cuts at a correctional facility. Ack!!! Where was all my beautiful curls... first time since I was 12 that my hair was that short.

Meh, it grew back. Now I have a short on the sides, curly on top cut that suits my personality much better. Thing is, it grows back.

And if your partner thinks it looks nice the way you had it, then you are probably too critical of it yourself.

When I started loosing hair,,, I went to a stylist and asked her to give me a hair-do that would look best on my head. A good hair stylist (one with many years experience) will be able to make you look your best with what you have growing up there.

Beauty Salons are not just for women!!! And they love it when a guy comes in...

Going Bald,
Jim
We Have Elvis !!

OP, it strikes me that if this is a concern at your age you may be heading for a crisis when you reach 24!

I'll bet you look great!
I bid NO Trump!

If my hair started thinning..
It would be a perfect excuse to go wig shopping. .

Have you guys ever been in a wig shop?

It's like the Illuminati of hair..
It's pretty mesmerizing to watch...

Hair is as important to males as it is to females. Many men just have to come to terms with losing it more than women. I think your bf's attitude toward your insecurity about your haircut says lots about them and probably one reason they are exes.

I agree with jimcrackcorn. Ask your barber his/her opinion. At least try their advice. It will grow back (probably, lol).

kindy64 Wrote:Back in February I had a friend give me a hair cut. Oh yeah, I was trained he said. Little did I know he was trained only in buzz cuts at a correctional facility. Ack!!! Where was all my beautiful curls... first time since I was 12 that my hair was that short.

yup, i hate buzz cuts too. men are supposed to have hair (even if it's receding, some hair is better than none at all).

this being said, i love giving a guy a hair cut myself, or a shave (facial hair). it's actually a very peaceful and pleasant thing to do; therapeutic, even. i would have loved being a barber. if i ever flunk out of my current profession, i'll open a barbershop. i also think every man should experience what it's like to have his beard/facial hair shaven by an actual barber. it's an old school tradition that should be kept alive.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

tell your mates and ex partners that genetics will catch up with them soon enough - I know of nobody with long hair over 30 without balding or thinning else where - and Ive gone to rock festivals all my life..

I have shaved my head into mohawks etc all my life .. now at 46 I have the eddie munster v shape fringe going on when I wake up until I brush and spread it around lol - you can get a receding hair line (me) or balding from the crown - its inevitable, just early for some than others - you sound like my friend who had hair past his bottom, but had to shave his head due to balding in his 20's like his dad before him - I guess its harder to loose it when you have so much really - oh,,and your friends are very insensitive too ,shame on them