Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why don't the Amish get cancer?
Why indeed? Maybe there's something we can learn from them:

http://theearthchild.co.za/why-dont-the-...et-cancer/
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Of course they do, even trees get cancer.
A better question is why are you getting your science from a site called "theearthchild"

they do have cancers: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19779840

i have no idea how the system works there and if all cancer incidents have recorded at all. do they go to the hospital? when they die, how do you know what was the cause?

METHODS:
Adults from randomly selected households were interviewed and a detailed cancer family history was taken. Using both the household interview data and a search of the Ohio cancer registry data, a total of 191 cancer cases were identified between the years 1996 and 2003.

RESULTS:
The age-adjusted cancer incidence rate for all cancers among the Amish adults was 60% of the age-adjusted adult rate in Ohio (389.5/10(5) vs. 646.9/10(5); p < 0.0001). The incidence rate for tobacco-related cancers in the Amish was 37% of the rate for Ohio adults (p < 0.0001). The incidence rate for non-tobacco-related cancers in the Amish was 72% of the age-adjusted adult rate in Ohio (p = 0.0001).

Anyway... less alcohol, tobacco, excercising, fresh air and better food may indeed affect alot (environmental/lifestyle factors). but i quess that everyone knows that already.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

[quote=mrex]they do have cancers: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19779840

i have no idea how the system works there and if all cancer incidents have recorded at all. do they go to the hospital? when they die, how do you know what was the cause?

METHODS:
Adults from randomly selected households were interviewed and a detailed cancer family history was taken. Using both the household interview data and a search of the Ohio cancer registry data, a total of 191 cancer cases were identified between the years 1996 and 2003.

RESULTS:
The age-adjusted cancer incidence rate for all cancers among the Amish adults was 60% of the age-adjusted adult rate in Ohio (389.5/10(5) vs. 646.9/10(5); p < 0.0001). The incidence rate for tobacco-related cancers in the Amish was 37% of the rate for Ohio adults (p < 0.0001). The incidence rate for non-tobacco-related cancers in the Amish was 72% of the age-adjusted adult rate in Ohio (p = 0.0001).

Anyway... less alcohol, tobacco, excercising, fresh air and better food may indeed affect alot (environmental/lifestyle factors). but i quess that everyone knows that already.

Computers and phones being radioactive... i'm quite sure that can have an impact as well

MickTheMousie Wrote:Computers and phones being radioactive... i'm quite sure that can have an impact as well

How do they masturbate without the internet?????:tongue:

1) Cancer has a multitude of causes, some genetic, some evironmental, plenty beyond our control. It is impossible that any group of people is free of it. Cancer starts with DNA damage and as long as humans have DNA, they will be suceptible to cancer.

mrex already poiunted you out to some info on that.

2) Do we even know what are the death causes of a secluded group of people that refuses to get medical attention? Can they identify and diagnose illnesses? Do they have a record of them? I don't know.

I would think it's very hard to know what's going on in those communities without someone else keeping a constant record, so how can you conduct a full scale study without this info?

3) The article only points out external manageable cancer-inducers like smoking. While all this is a point to them, it's not an exclusive feature. Any person can do all the same things and not everyone will be free of cancer, although they can reduce their chances.

I don't smoke and my family has a proclivity for stomach cancer. I live in a place with heavy summer radiation. Care to wage my odds? I am not free of it.

4) Low cancer incidence, in the abscence of external factors, implies a genome probably not carrying many mutations asociated with cancer. For that "healthy" DNA to remain dominant and persisting in time, there must be a rather restricted genetic flow into those populations, which can only mean one thing: inbreeding.

That, I don't have to tell anyone, packs it's own problems.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10332616

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23243086

So, there's no secret here to learn. Each community has it's health problems to deal with.

I will however accept their advice on low scale farming and agriculture, in which they seem to excel.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Darius Wrote:How do they masturbate without the internet?????:tongue:

internet? how old school...

everybody uses wank-o-meter app with their smartwatches today...