Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is English spelling is so weird?
LONDONER Wrote:Spanish (if that is your native language) spelling has rules and is comparatively easy, it's the grammar that is the bugbear.

Yes, you're correct grammar is trickier than spelling. Still, I always found I could say what I wanted with less word in English. Simple is the word I'd use, I never realy found the spelling to be particularly hard. Guess it's a matter of being accustomed
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Alto Wrote:I have real problems with spelling some types of words, now I know who to blame.. Latin..

Knowing etymology is quite the way to grasp spelling.

For instance, most words starting with a mute H here, (making you wonder, why is there even a mute letter there?) are derived from latin words that started with F. Lawrd knows why the change happened, but knowing that is a word comes from a latin F word, most likely it will be a mute H Spanish word.

Confuzzled4 Wrote:If I had to say why it's so difficult, it's because there's so much borrowing from other languages. It's certainly true that English has a lot of Latin and Greek roots, but it's a Germanic language that has many words borrowed from French, and some borrowed from Spanish as well. English in general is a pretty hard language.

Quite the opposite, the various influences is what makes English easier to grasp than "purer" Germanic languages. Hell, I even found it easier to grasp than f*cking French! And that's supposed to be closer to mine.

Confuzzled4 Wrote:If I had to say why it's so difficult, it's because there's so much borrowing from other languages. It's certainly true that English has a lot of Latin and Greek roots, but it's a Germanic language that has many words borrowed from French, and some borrowed from Spanish as well. English in general is a pretty hard language.

Generally, English has borrowed a lot from Latin. French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian, all of these are classified as Romance languages who all trace their roots from Latin, thanks to Rome.

It's not only the spelling tho, I remember the word joke
GOTHI
which can be pronounced 'fish'.. Find out how it works ��

Insertnamehere Wrote:Knowing etymology is quite the way to grasp spelling.

For instance, most words starting with a mute H here, (making you wonder, why is there even a mute letter there?) are derived from latin words that started with F. Lawrd knows why the change happened, but knowing that is a word comes from a latin F word, most likely it will be a mute H Spanish word.

I wonder if anyone knows or remembers this. Only the first part is relevant to this thread (K as in knewel post?!!) but it's worth listening to ther whole thing.

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

It is well rumored that the word "Goth" came from the German word for God, which is "Gott." It is no wonder, since most of the best admired churches in Europe were built by Christianized Goths ...

LONDONER Wrote:I wonder if anyone knows or remembers this. Only the first part is relevant to this thread (K as in knewel post?!!) but it's worth listening to ther whole thing.

"K as in knife? P as in Pneumonia?"

Rofl

Oh, Ps and Pn are Greek, no? Damn the Greek and their silent letters :biggrin: