Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is it considered acceptable to make fun of someone's accent?
I didn't change my accent, and it's worked for me more than against me. For example, in business it helped Californians remember me better (some who considered my Texas accent exotic) so I got more opportunities and once I burned an obnoxious idiot who assumed I was an idiot for my accent until he went out of business himself (though I'm sure I wasn't the only one taking advantage of his arrogant ignorance, especially as he had to be so obnoxious to everyone else) though I considered the extra money I got out of him an "entertainment fee" to allow him to feel superior (he thought he was ripping me off).

Though an odd experience was when some Deadheads made fun of my accent...I was more bemused by it than anything, especially when they started listening to Janis Joplin and her Texas accent comes out real strong in some songs, and they couldn't seem to hear it when I pointed it out to them (but then they smoked a lot of pot). I didn't really care, though, people on pot laugh about the most idiotic things (and when I was on pot with them I could laugh at them laughing at me Rolleyes ).

I have my partner now in part due to the "butterfly effect" of my accent. I was taking care of kids who watched Hannah Montana when I caught an ep where Miley is mocked by snooty Californians for her accent and related to her and ended up getting into the show. Then when the movie came out I made money taking girls to see it (so the 'rents and grandparents didn't have to, and some paid me over a hundred dollars in getting out of seeing it themselves yet again several times over, and more considering they were also responsible for the movie tickets, too) and one of my customers stored my number on her phone so she could call me again and then her daughter called me after finding my number on her mom's phone when her mom was immobilized by swine flu...

Gotta say my Texas accent has brought me more blessings than grief all things considered. Still, I can't help but be annoyed when someone hates me (or worse, loves me) for being a prejudicial idiot as "revealed by my accent" when they prove themselves prejudicial idiots by judging me solely by my accent!

Accents are overrated, dialects on the other hand.....:tongue: