Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is it okay to criticize Christianity but not Islam?
You know all those prejudices that Christianity professes? Islam is saying the exact same things and much louder.

People don't want to get blow'd up.

Personally I criticise islam far more than the other religionists, since they are far more objectionable.

Wade does have a point though...

I'm not sure where you're getting this from, because I hear people criticize Islam rather frequently, and most of those people are Christians.

I think religions should be open to criticism, especially if they are detrimentally affecting people/the world, and I feel that Christianity (and Islam) do cause a lot of problems that are totally unnecessary. This is why I'm more into Eastern religion, there's no judgment and no blind belief just because of fear. The "fear of God" is what creates so much hysteria with people.

Read around more. People are very critical of islam.

Mick

there are thousands of religions through time, millions of gods. Many claiming to be the one true faith.

Why people actually write this stuff down and make other people read it i dont know. You have go to be very gullible to harbor an organized faith.

In America, Liberals frequently demand that people not criticize Islam even when the criticism is deserved

Huh? I don't think it's okay to criticize either religion. The religion itself is just a belief, and there's nothing wrong with that. Now on the other hand, I think it is perfectly okay to criticize members of a belief. Just don't criticize them based on their religion. For example: I will criticize the Pope all the time. I will also criticize Muslims who use their religion for harm. I just don't attack the religion that they claim to belong to.

Really? There are some persons who support the notion that Islam shouldn't be criticized at all for politically correct reasons and the fear of being labeled racists. These individuals seem to be pretty scarce, however, especially in contrast to those who attack the faith more than is justified using violent passages from the Quran to support their views. Based on scripture alone, neither Islam nor Christianity are particularly friendly and both religions should be criticized more or less equally - respectfully of course.

This is a massive issue in the UK following the beheading of the soldier in Woolwich, London. Personally I think both religions deserve to be criticised equally and fairly. I understand where Arkansota is coming from though. There have been cases in the UK where people who despise Islam get far rougher treatment from the police than Islamic extremists. In one case, police arrested someone for filming a mob of Muslims chanting obscenities against non-Muslims whereas none of the Muslim demonstrators were arrested despite their chanting being in breach of anti-discrimination legislation and their own actions being racially offensive.

Similarly, politicians in this country are quick to attack far-right groups whilst saying absolutely nothing about hate preachers and ultra-conservative Muslims. Whenever people from the BNP (British National Party) or EDL (English Defence League), two far right groups, protest, there is always a counter demonstration by UAF (Unite Against Fascism), usually these groups colliding does cause a disturbance more often than not. However, UAF rarely seem to demonstrate against these hate preachers even though a lot of them call for the death of all Jews and gays.

I am not a member of any far-right group and have absolutely no intention whatsoever of becoming one but how is this fair treatment?

I've never been fond of religion. One of the most stupid things I saw on the news was a group of Afghans attacking the headquarters of a UN based peacekeeping operation following the release of that offensive crude anti-Muslim film about Mohammed in America.

I believe this is called 'biting the hand that feeds you'. In this case quite literally given Afghanistan's extreme poverty. What this mob did was utterly stupid and devoid of reason.

That is not to say Christians get it right all the time either. You get plenty of Fred Phelps type figures out there as well. I respect the moderates and the reformers but too often their voices are drowned out by the aggressive types.