Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is it so amazing when White people speak Asian languages?
If you are of Asian descent, you'll know that feeling when a caucasian suddenly breaks out in fluent mandarin/cantonese/korean/japanese and other languages from East Asia.

It's like seeing a dog juggle and walk on its hind legs. o_o

Why do you think that is? And why is it so much less amazing when the situation is reversed? Is it because there are more East->West emigrants than the other way around? Is it because East Asian languages are seen as very 'exclusive' and notoriously difficult to master?

I'm Asian and I don't share the same sentiment.

I find it amazing for anyone from any race to able to speak more than their mother tongue fluently and naturally. Not exclusively to only one skin color.

Lilitu Wrote:...notoriously difficult to master?
Likely that bit.
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

the gringo's are slightly out numbered

Lilitu Wrote:If you are of Asian descent, you'll know that feeling when a caucasian suddenly breaks out in fluent mandarin/cantonese/korean/japanese and other languages from East Asia.

It's like seeing a dog juggle and walk on its hind legs. o_o

Why do you think that is? And why is it so much less amazing when the situation is reversed? Is it because there are more East->West emigrants than the other way around? Is it because East Asian languages are seen as very 'exclusive' and notoriously difficult to master?

I totally disagree with that fair enough asian languages are full of little squiggles lines and pictures it doesn't make them any easier or harder to learn. Any language is hard and it takes dedication to master. I speak English, fluent German bits of French and I'm currently teaching myself Italian.

Okay I think we're missing the point a little bit...

What I meant to ask was: when people of non-asian descent (but especially caucasians) speak an east asian language, especially the chinese languages, while inside that country, the people in that country tend to get very excited. In fact, my mother watches a television programme completely dedicated to this. It's a television contest where foreigners speak mandarin on television.

I know Russians can be the same way when Americans can speak their language (but only if you speak it well, speaking it badly apparently has the same effect on them as seeing misspelled profanities spray painted to a wall does to many Americans :tongue: ).

Though be warned: here in the USA the Eastern Orthodox (especially when it consisted of mostly expats from Communist countries) tended to gather in one church as there wasn't enough to go around. I heard once that a woman greeted some Ukrainians at the Russian Orthodox church in (very poor) Russian. A Ukrainian woman (*) asked her what she was doing and the American said, "Greeting you in your native language." Luckily the Ukrainian woman's husband was able to restrain his wife until the American could flee. Roflmao

(*Ukrainians tend not to like Russians, and Russians don't seem to like them back, having long ago traded the term "Little Russian" for more unflattering names. And Ukrainian women, deserved or not, have a wild reputation for being violent, and it's even said that even the women who marry athletic men will beat them if their husband loses in a game. Think Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon where a woman utterly destroys a restaurant because it has the same name as her husband.)

Oh, tip...back when I was trying to learn Russian one woman commented that I "butchered" the language and had an atrocious accent (I guess Russian doesn't sound right when delivered with a Texas accent very similar to Janis Joplin :tongue: ), but one day I ended up getting plastered and I swear my Russian improved, and thinking it was my imagination the other Russian Americans agreed, and also said my terrible accent went away. I didn't let them know that I didn't consider it a coincidence that the drunker I got the more I sounded like a true Russian. :tongue:

As bad as my Japanese, it's horrible until I get drunk, then I've had listeners tell me they swear I spent a few years in Canton. No, I spend one month with a Cantonese exchange driver in my truck and managed to pick up a bit of the language. (which probably explains why it only works when I'm under the influence of something) LOL

The title for this thread on the homepage just says "why is it so amazing when White people speak." Needless to say, I felt quite the ego boost. "Yeah," I thought, "It is pretty awesome when I say things." Then I opened the thread... something I regret.

P.S.

John,
If you're reading this, I am certain that this will turn out to be a great example of what I mentioned in the "boo" thread.

when I think about foreign languages the ones that immediately
come to mind are european languages with common origins.. otherer
languages...whether Asia..Africa...native American...are exotic
and more challenging due to fewer commonalities. gods I sound boring!
alcohol and android don't mix well, lol!