Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is the world screwed up?
wintermoon Wrote:The cynic in me says organized religion is to blame for the majority of the world's ills.

The realist says we as a collective race bring most of the world's tragedies upon ourselves.

The cynic in me thinks the same. Seems there are only ever one of 2 things, often both, that are common root causes for conflict....religion and greed.

It might help to keep in mind that bad news is more likely to make headlines because it grabs attention more and thus makes the media more valuable to their advertisers. There's plenty of good news out there that just doesn't get much if any attention. Example I just stumbled across today:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/boy...33068.html

Quote:A 9-year-old Massachusetts boy who earned an all-expenses-paid Disney World vacation through an innovative Facebook experiment gave the trip away to the family of a soldier killed in Afghanistan.

Brendan Haas created the "Soldier for a Soldier" Facebook page in February. Inspired by the story of the guy who, through a series of trades, turned a paper clip into a house, Haas started with a toy soldier and eventually traded up to $900 worth of Disney gift certificates, airfare and hotel credits.

On Memorial Day, Haas gave the trip to the family of U.S. Army Lt. Timothy Steele, a 25-year-old soldier killed in Afghanistan last year. According to NBC's WHDH-TV affiliate, Haas pulled the name of Liberty Hope Steele, the fallen soldier's now-2-year-old daughter, out of a hat and surprised the Steele family at their Duxbury, Mass., home.

There are also sites like this:

http://goodnewsdaily.com/

Granted, this doesn't undo all the horrible things in the world nor change the fact that "scum rises to the top" but sometimes it's nice to remember that not everyone is a hate-filled monster who'd sell his or her grandmother to a brothel. And it's not the planes that arrive safely that make the news but the ones that crash or experience other mishap (so sometimes no news is good news).

And I remember one person who said all people were scum because "every time someone helps the homeless it winds up on the news" (meaning it was as surprising as "man bites dog") but that's not true at all. As a runaway people helped me off the streets (but couldn't do it publicly as they were technically "contributing to my delinquency" but those folks turned my life around and protected me from a fate I see--without drama or hyperbole--as worse than death) and I've helped the homeless quite a bit. A neighbor also had some horrible luck and was looking at some real hard times which included giving up her cat (I'm serious it was bad and the cruelty she endured from the government, though granted this was an evil troll within it who obviously took delight in using her position to harm others, is infuriating) so I anonymously (so that she wouldn't have to fear the "hidden price tag" or feel embarrassed when she saw me) took over a wheelbarrow of groceries (including a huge bag of cat food & litter) with an envelope holding $20 (ETA: I left it by her back door at 2 AM and I recall being very nervous of the police stopping me as I took the wheelbarrow of goods over and not believing me if I told them, and yes I know she got it). And the news never reported on any of it. Granted, I'm not a naive trusting fool and I do try to stay current on all the scams targeting do gooders like myself (such scam artists, a few of them violent, doing a lot to discourage goodwill to the less fortunate as they prey upon those with kind hearts).

Human nature.:frown:
As i summed it up elsewhere while talking on the subject of morality:
Quote:Humans need a society to feel like a member of, and they will behave morally within that society...just not every human is included in that society.
Those not included are typically viewed as outsiders and thus, sub human.

Psychopaths go one step further and see EVERYONE as outsiders and subhuman.:frown:

Humans are far from perfect.
But to say we don't have a natural inclination to be moral is incorrect.
We do have such a natural inclination...it's just limited.
Increases in tolerance, decreases in ignorance of other cultures and increases in equality has done much to help us view all humans as members of our society, and thus to be treated respectfully and morally.

I'm no expert, but that's how i see things anyway.:redface:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

I stayed away from tv and news sites for most of the day, I just wish good deeds would make it on the news more often.

[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

dfiant Wrote:The cynic in me thinks the same. Seems there are only ever one of 2 things, often both, that are common root causes for conflict....religion and greed.

You forgot patriotism. :frown:

There's a good movie that tackles this issue of conformity and the 'fitting in scenario' It's called The Wave. It's on Netflix if anyone is interested in watching it.

I for one think a thorough education system around the world would solve so many of the issues we are facing today. It would take a massive effort and dedication to educate to the extent that is necessary. I'm not suggesting the failure of an education system seen here in America or in many places around the world. We need teachers and professors that are motivational and have inovative methods of teaching.

Knowledge can be infectious and powerful. I think by improving our education system and getting people active we can tap into many innovative and creative minds. It would also keep people off the streets and help to deter crime.

On the subject of government or officials, they sure are corrupt. But some of them are voted into office. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people push other people to vote here in the states. "It's your civil duty to vote!" It may be our duty to vote, but it's also our duty to educate ourselves on who we are electing to represent us. Too often people run to the polls to elect someone based on popularity, or they have no clue what the candidate stands for. It's rather annoying.

The world is in a state of chaos but there are those who are willing to change it for the better. We just need action.

OK...forgive me ahead of time but I am a product of my generation...I grew up in the 1960s and 70s...and this was actually a hit on the radio (the spoken poem) and I have had a copy of it hanging up everywhere I have ever lived....

It speaks for itself...

Desiderata
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be critical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.

© Max Ehrmann 1927

I think it all started when rules and regulations, however necessary and just, were implemented.

People have lost sense with their inner selves and rely on things such as rules, idealism, and other people's perception of right and wrong.

If more people thought like how Adele sings her songs, I think it would be a better world, because she doesn't sing of;

Sex/Sexuality
Defamation
Money
Race

But rather just from her heart and what she feels and it just makes sense to be that way. Also Jason Mraz, his messages are extremely powerful if you listen to them.

I find that people only listen to music for the beat and what not, which is okay sometimes, but the message is what should be taken to heart, and because alot of music now has to do with the things I listed above, that's all people care about and obsess about.

Music to me, makes the world okay, because without it, I'd probably go completely off my bloody rocker...

I believe that people are so absorbed into the concept of living, that they're actually not living at all and are under the false impression of a perfect reality, when their perception of a perfect reality is a flawed idea of what they think is right and ideal.

The world to me, isn't what's really messed up, but really the people in it and the flawed humanism of which we are experts.

We shouldn't focus so much on negative things, because it's what causes chaos and for people in general to force their totalitarinistic views on us, let alone children, shows how messed up we really are, all because of flawed ideals and unrealistic perceptions of a perfect reality, based on the notion of negativity in which they try to avoid in a never ending cycle that's in the end, flawed.

So I don't think the world is messed up, but those living in it.

I try to be the best me I can be and hope for better, because force and violence is not something I believe in, although it's something I know very well.

I appreciate those who can stand up for our rights, but I personally would prefer to sit back and listen to some Bach or Shostakovich, and stand when I need to stand and not because I'm required to.

Kisses everyone Kiss3
Loveya

Hello,
I think the problem with life is when we are born we are born without prejudice however over the many years one can live for people influence others and therefore this causes hatred... I will admit i am fighting prejudices of my own along with others here who have under lining prejudice and not admit it on the surface but to be honest being aware of the problem is one thing and dealing with it is completely different

Kindest regards

Aunty Zeon x