Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why it's important to learn percentages
It's not that difficult is it?

[Image: 464199-.jpg]
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

To say nothing of learning the difference between suggestive and suggested...
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:To say nothing of learning the difference between suggestive and suggested...

So, the person who wrote it went to a school where they didn't teach him/her grammar or maths.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

That is a terrible tactic. Anyone who's taken basic mathematics should catch that right away and I'd be on Yelp in a New York minute with a picture of that receipt. I'm one of the more chill people eating out, I tip well, I don't ask for a bunch of requests that are a pain to fulfill and I'm always polite to the server...but seeing something like that would piss me off... Now that being said their POS software might have a big in it but my guess it is deliberate. Should be obvious that a $9.50 tip on a $20.50 tab is damn near 50%... That's just deceiving customers, if you want to deceive people go work for the IRS.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

LONDONER Wrote:So, the person who wrote it went to a school where they didn't teach him/her grammar or maths.

No more than likely they deliberately programmed the incorrect percentages into their POS. You can typically have custom labels for each tip suggestion. The idea is so that people will of course leave higher tips...unless they go wait a minute that's not 25%.... 20% is about the max I go unless something really special happened.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

@Inbetweendseams, I COMPLETELY and emphatically agree with you that 20% is a good tim. I also am sure that the tip in on the total of the check before tax. There is no reason that anyonw should feel it necessary to tip any percentage of the ax charged.

I worked for some time in the hospitality industry and can assure you that any server who stays i the business is being decently compensated. Otherwise they leave, and quickly.

And [MENTION=18457]LONDONER[/MENTION], it would seem that the most popular subject at our hypothetical school would be "entrepreneurship," otherwise known as the boondoggle.
I bid NO Trump!

[MENTION=20933]LJay[/MENTION] the only time I don't tip well is if they are just a trainwreck, which is seldom the case...
Check out my stuff!

InbetweenDreams Wrote:[MENTION=20933]LJay[/MENTION] the only time I don't tip well is if they are just a trainwreck, which is seldom the case...

That is the right thing to do, and you are doing everyone a favor by tipping poorly for poor service. It tells the server to step up the work or get another job. The sooner an incompetent server quits, the happier are the restaurant owners, the customers, the kitchen, and the other servers.

I don't blame the server if the food is bad, only if the service is lacking. It's not the server's fault if the food is bad. I tip well and treat all servers with respect. It's not always an easy job.

That said, I welcome the day when restaurants just pay servers a fair wage and eliminate tipping altogether. Some have tried it and gone back to the old system.

Camfer Wrote:That is the right thing to do, and you are doing everyone a favor by tipping poorly for poor service. It tells the server to step up the work or get another job. The sooner an incompetent server quits, the happier are the restaurant owners, the customers, the kitchen, and the other servers.

I don't blame the server if the food is bad, only if the service is lacking. It's not the server's fault if the food is bad. I tip well and treat all servers with respect. It's not always an easy job.

That said, I welcome the day when restaurants just pay servers a fair wage and eliminate tipping altogether. Some have tried it and gone back to the old system.

Yep my attitude is, be nice and respectful and tip well because karma is a bitch and I don't want to do what they have to do. That's the way I look at it anyway.
Check out my stuff!