Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wild December
For no other reason other than nature is beautiful to watch:

"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Beautiful video, thanks for sharing Smile

This is what December should be like. Not this record breakingly warm but dark, drizzly and windy borefest the UK has been subjected to this month Sad. Not seasonal at all!

Cridders88 Wrote:Beautiful video, thanks for sharing Smile

This is what December should be like. Not this record breakingly warm but dark, drizzly and windy borefest the UK has been subjected to this month Sad. Not seasonal at all!

The big problem with this unseasonal weather is that flowers that don't usually appear until the Spring are coming out now and even worse, animals that hibernate are waking up now. It's going to be a big problem if and when the cold weather does arrive.

Indeed Sad. Daffodils out months early, I even saw a hawthorn hedgerow coming into blossom the other day, and this isn't meant to happen until April/May! Saw a magnolia tree coming into blossom too. But yeah, the hibernating animals are of more concern. With the previous couple mild Winters, baby hedgehogs venturing out early has been a problem, and I suspect it will be the same this year. Because the colder weather is bound to come at some point, I'd be surprised if it doesn't. Then again I was surprised at the fact it was 16°C at gone midnight the other night too, so stranger things have happened!

Cridders88 Wrote:Indeed Sad. Daffodils out months early, I even saw a hawthorn hedgerow coming into blossom the other day, and this isn't meant to happen until April/May! Saw a magnolia tree coming into blossom too. But yeah, the hibernating animals are of more concern. With the previous couple mild Winters, baby hedgehogs venturing out early has been a problem, and I suspect it will be the same this year. Because the colder weather is bound to come at some point, I'd be surprised if it doesn't. Then again I was surprised at the fact it was 16°C at gone midnight the other night too, so stranger things have happened!

From what I have heard it has been the hottest December since 1948!

The first 17 days were the warmest on the CET (central england temperature) record which dates back to 1659. Provisional figures up until the 22nd suggest we are still at record temperatures. We are currently running at 5.1°C ABOVE average, which is staggering. Obviously this is just based on the CET, so there will be local variations.

The figures if you are interested, shows after a cold September and average October, a considerable spike in temperatures. December has a current average value warmer than November! Which is crazy!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadce..._mean.html

Another amazing thing to consider is the contrast with December 2010. That was the coldest in over 100 years. Look how different the values are from this month!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadce...n2010.html

I recall that December the temperature falling to -18°C (may have been Xmas night if I recall correctly). Contrast that to the 16°C the other night and you have a 34°C difference between two nights in the same calendar month. Amazing!