Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Women as a source of homophobia towards gays
as a straight i could not get a date to save my life but i have hag friends w/o trying.

Pix Wrote:I've generally found women to be less homophobic than men, and even when they are homophobic they usually base it on religious reasons rather than more pragmatic ones.
I agree with this. There are definitely people like Michelle Bachmann and the psychology student that was kicked out of her college because she was going to treat being gay as a disease, so there are some prominent and activist women working against us - but it's based on things like religion.

I do think in general there's more acceptance among women, and I think this might be because women are more accepting of their own sexuality. Guys can get a bit neanderthal, esp. in a group or because they are trying to be funny (look at the insults in a lot of Adam Sandler movies as an example).

Regarding feminists, I actually have butted heads with one over gay marriage on a debate board. It is not because she is against gays, but because she is against marriage rights for gays and straights. And in some regards she has a point (if you were single and in the hospital, wouldn't you want your best friend to have the right to come in and be there with you, if your family was too far way?). But I believe it'll be far easier to get gay marriage passed than to overhaul the entire marriage system. Still, it's been hard to be civil with her. I'd make a point against a more conservative member, and then someone you expect to be on your side comes in and rips apart your words. So, even if she's not against gays, have definitely struggled with one feminist in terms of finding that feeling of equality.

jbrowder24 Wrote:... is against marriage rights for gays and straights. And in some regards she has a point (if you were single and in the hospital, wouldn't you want your best friend to have the right to come in and be there with you

i cant say its a good thing either way but boo:
you have no idea, no reference and no life experience.

pellaz Wrote:i cant say its a good thing either way but boo:
you have no idea, no reference and no life experience.
Excuse me? Obviously I was not as clear as I could have been - emergencies, surgeries, a regular visit, etc. - I was limited on time, and trying to get a general point across about someone else's view - not even my own view - while I could. But you have no idea what my experiences are, or what I have for references. If you want to correct me or ask for clarification, go ahead, but please don't insult someone you don't know.

Hello Gihooly,
With my living circumstances living in a gay capital or a seriously populated gay city in the UK I have often learnt that hetrosexual women love coming into the gay scene because they are able to be free and enjoy the night without being harrassed by men wanting to grab them... Alot of women like the term fag hag which is a woman who hangs with gay men. I dont know of any women who dislike gay people.... I know of a few with reasons as to why they are not keen on lesbians but its very alien for me to think of women to hate gay men

Kindest regards

zeon x