Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Word of the Day
pusillanimous
/ˌpjuːsɪˈlanɪməs/

adjective
showing a lack of courage or determination; timid.
[-] The following 3 members Like Spades's post:
  • andy, InbetweenDreams, Raven

Floccinaucinihilipilification
The action or habit of estimating something as worthless
[-] The following 2 members Like Raven's post:
  • andy, InbetweenDreams

Dissident - That is someone who opposes an official policy, especially of an authoritarian state.

(06-03-2020, 12:20 AM)Raven Wrote: Floccinaucinihilipilification

That is crazy. Can I hear that in a sentence? Evillaugh
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • andy

It's a rude one but always makes me laugh when I hear it... Smile

clunge
  1. a woman's genitals.

2. a person's buttocks or anus.
First heard it here...
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.
[-] The following 3 members Like andy's post:
  • Bookworm, InbetweenDreams, Raven

Petrichor - the pleasant smell of rain after a long period of dry weather. I just learned it from Cridders88!
[-] The following 2 members Like Chase's post:
  • InbetweenDreams, Raven

(06-03-2020, 04:04 PM)Chase Wrote: Petrichor - the pleasant smell of rain after a long period of dry weather. I just learned it from Cridders88!

I saw that post earlier too. I've never heard of that either. @Cridders88 you're such a weather geek!  Big Grin 

How about discombobulate. An author I like to read uses this word a lot in his books. I'd never heard of it before then, and this wasn't too long ago. It certainly discombobulated me, that's for sure! 

discombobulate
/ˌdɪskəmˈbɒbjʊleɪt/
[/url][Image: svg+xml;base64,PHN2ZyB4bWxucz0iaHR0cDovL...wvc3ZnPgo=]Learn to pronounce
[url=https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enGB751GB751&q=how+to+pronounce+discombobulate&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOMIfcTowC3w8sc9YSnzSWtOXmM05OINKMrPK81LzkwsyczPE5LiYglJLcoVEpIS4OJLySxOzs9Nyk8qzUksSbViUWJKzeNZxCqfkV-uUJKvUADUmQ_UmqqAqhAAUXrB-mcAAAA&pron_lang=en&pron_country=gb&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjPmNWRsubpAhWISsAKHSbgBGQQ3eEDMAB6BAgBEAg]

verb
HUMOROUS

1. disconcert or confuse (someone).
<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>
[-] The following 1 member Likes Bookworm's post:
  • Raven

(06-03-2020, 08:42 PM)Bookworm Wrote: How about discombobulate. An author I like to read uses this word a lot in his books. I'd never heard of it before then, and this wasn't too long ago. It certainly discombobulated me, that's for sure! 

That's actually kind of funny. In my main go-to guides for writing, "The Elements of Style" by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White, and "On Writing" by Stephen King, both warn about using long, unknown words, and both use "discombobulated" as an example. I'm not sure if King used it directly, although he referred to The Elements of Style a lot and discombobulated was a total no-no.

Myself, I like big words and find it hard to constrain myself. I don't follow all of Strunk's and King's rules, but whenever I use big words, I try to think if it will have my readers running to the dictionary or not. I like Edgar Allen Poe but I hate how he has me constantly googling words. I have a YA Sci-Fi I'm trying to get published, and it's written in 3rd limited. My main character isn't as articulate, so I often use my own voice instead of his (hence my choice of 3rd over 1st). One word I'm unsure about is "incandescence" - it just refers to the light of incandescent light bulbs, which are the regular light bulbs people use (not the new LEDs that are supposed to last forever).

I once studied to be an electrician, so incandescence just came naturally to me. So let me know if it's a word that'd have you scrambling to the dictionary or not Smile

(06-03-2020, 09:46 PM)Chase Wrote:
(06-03-2020, 08:42 PM)Bookworm Wrote: How about discombobulate. An author I like to read uses this word a lot in his books. I'd never heard of it before then, and this wasn't too long ago. It certainly discombobulated me, that's for sure! 

That's actually kind of funny. In my main go-to guides for writing, "The Elements of Style" by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White, and "On Writing" by Stephen King, both warn about using long, unknown words, and both use "discombobulated" as an example. I'm not sure if King used it directly, although he referred to The Elements of Style a lot and discombobulated was a total no-no.

This doesn't surprise me at all. The author I was talking about was China Mieville. He loves going against the grain and challenging the norms of established writing etiquette.
He goes out of his way to play around with language sometimes, which can make his work a difficult read, but if you persevere you eventually get into the flow. He's actually a great writer. I love his books.
<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>

(06-03-2020, 02:41 AM)InbetweenDreams Wrote: Dissident - That is someone who opposes an official policy, especially of an authoritarian state.

(06-03-2020, 12:20 AM)Raven Wrote: Floccinaucinihilipilification

That is crazy. Can I hear that in a sentence?  Evillaugh

Smile 
[-] The following 1 member Likes Raven's post:
  • InbetweenDreams

Well @Raven I heard this one...

Iniquitous

which is grossly unfair or immoral.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • Raven