Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work: Recognizing Gay pride month
I recently Inquired whether my work would be recognizing Gay Pride Month this June. Well I just got word that it was a go. In the inquiry I listed a few names of influential Gays and Lesbians and the manager said that if I can think of more names to add let him know. So far, including the ones I already submitted, I have 14.

I wanted to concentrate on adding people to the list that had a major impact on society like Alan Turing and Bayard Rustin first. Then a few people who are major influences like Billy Jean King and Hans Christian Andersen. Then Celebrities like Freddy Mercury and Wanda Sykes. I also want to avoid people where their sexuality can be debated or speculated on, along with people who are polarizing.

The place I'm having trouble with is transgender persons. It may be my limited scope, knowledge, or brain power but I'm having trouble finding Trans people in the first and second set and while I can find trans celebrities I'd much rather have others who have more then acting, singing, etc. as presentation points.

Any advice or recommendations would be really helpful since I don't feel right limiting the Transgender representation if I can help it.

Not big names, but many years later (the first as far back as 2000) I read published works and easily recalled them just now, so that should count for something:

http://www.deirdremccloskey.com/

http://comixpedia.com/an_interview_with_...nda_janiga

Neither are big as far as I know, but both are notable.

Maybe this will be more helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_transgender_people

ETA: that list had Ms. McCloskey as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deirdre_McCloskey

Can't we at least muddle through Black History Month first?!?!?!!?!?

:tongue:

Transgender list is found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_transgender_people

You will have to sort them out. These are just famous, not necessarily influential.

The list may indeed be limited, but then historically a man in dress or a woman in trousers would end up beheaded, burnt at the stake or some other atrocity was applied to end their careers early.

Unlike Gays, Lesbians and Bisexuals who could 'hide'.

I'm a history buff, so I can provide some names from history, if that's OK?

Oscar Wilde
Alexander of Macedon (Alexander the Great, if he's not influential, I don't know who is)
Tennessee Williams
Lord Byron

If you want to add some controversy to it (what's life without controversy?)

Ernst Rohm (Leader of the SA, or Brownshirts, until his murder in 1934. He was at the time the only man powerful enough in Germany to challenge Hitler)

Artur Nebe (SS commander of Einsatzgruppe B. Was sacked from his position for doctoring the reports of Jews killed in the East. Was a main conspirator of the July 1944 bomb plot to kill Hitler. Excerpts from his diary reveal he joined the SS solely as a means to get close to Hitler and one day kill him. It was all a front, he secretly detested the nazis. He was executed for his role in the plot)

I forgot to add Hannibal Barca of Carthage (yes, the one who crossed the Alps with elephants). Humiliated Rome with a series of crushing defeats. His annihilation of the Roman army at Cannae is still studied to this day by military tacticians. He was openly bisexual.

TommyinKY Wrote:The place I'm having trouble with is transgender persons.

Elagabalus, a Roman emperor. Dressed like a woman, wore wigs and makeup, prostituted himself to men at the cheapest of Roman brothels (while emperor) and tried to convince doctors to cut a fake vagina into him.

Adam (Maddie) Blaustein. Voice actor, most famous for his role as "Meowth" on Pokemon.

If you want to know about a transgender celebrity why not pick the winner of big brother UK in around 2009 NADIA... It was a fantastic result she won as the nation warmed to her

Kindest regards

zeon x

just amazed that your company has recognized gay pride - what organisation is this (no need to say if its a prob) . i dont even tell mine im even gay at all, well done to your outfit Thumbgrin

so far the posts have been helpful. I can't really say who my Employer so can't give a name or any strong hints. However I figured I'd ask since the recognized other groups and have a employee group for LGBT.

I want to try to get a few more influential Transgender people before I start filling in celebrities. I did the same for the Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual entries I figured I should use the same sorting method. World changing, Influential, then Celebrity. That way It can be something that isn't just for the LGBT community but something where the straight folk, who may not know anything besides the latest gay celebrity gossip, can learn how we also influenced the world.

I did decide that Deirdre N. McCloskey and Mary Ann Horton where the first two Trans people I'd include. So I feel safe adding in a few Celebrities now.

In the end these are just suggestions they don't have to use any of them and since they have their own Employee group they could select anyone they wanted.

The list so far is; Alan Turing , Oliver Sipple, Bayard Rustin, Marlene Dietrich, Billie Jean King, Wanda Sykes, Hans Christian Andersen, Bessie Smith, Roy Harold Scherer, Jr. A.K.A. Rock Hudson, Enrique "Ricky" Martín Morales, George Hosato Takei Altman, Jeanne Manford (founder of PFLAG), Freddie Mercury, Alex Nicholson (for being the named plaintiff in Log Cabin Republicans vs United States), Deirdre N. McCloskey, and Mary Ann Horton.

Now that I look at it I need to find more Lesbian and maybe more Bi females role models to add.