Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work, childhood, and everything in between!
ESLteacher Wrote:Since I am caucasian it is assumed that I am wealthy automatically. That is just what everyone thinks of white people over here. They also assume that you are a naive tourist. The combination of the two makes for very interesting market trips. You should see their faces when I speak in Chinese back to them and I tell them "you are overcharging me, I am not a tourist" and then I name my own price and we begin to bargain on a final price.

now THAT is exactly what I was fishing for! wonderful share!!! Did you take any language courses or what sort of training for speaking Mandarin? Or has it been more immersion? Did the people you became employed "through" speak English?

Thanks for the conversation. It really IS interesting.Wavey
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

CCRox Wrote:now THAT is exactly what I was fishing for! wonderful share!!! Did you take any language courses or what sort of training for speaking Mandarin? Or has it been more immersion? Did the people you became employed "through" speak English?

Thanks for the conversation. It really IS interesting.Wavey

Currently I teach myself with MP3 files and just using language immersion, but when I move in two weeks, my new employer offers classes so we shall see. My current employer is a unique company in the sense that there are two different sets of management and the two staff teams never cross that line. If you are a Chinese staff member than you have a completely different set of rules and boss than someone like me who is American. So even though my branch manager is Chinese, she is not my boss. My manager is the Director of Studies (American) and I rarely ever see him. His boss is the Director of Foreign Affairs (Canadian) and that is the highest boss that exists for those of us that are not Chinese. We only see the DOFA at formal events and even then it is limited. He mainly deals with visa questions and concerns and his wife (Chinese) works in the office and handles the payroll and visa papers, but she does not work for him since she is Chinese. We have Chinese teaching aides who report to the Chinese branch manager who reports to a head boss in some office that we have never seen. The only person above that is the owner who is the wife of the Chief of Police for the whole city (hence why we are rarely under the spotlight).

ESLteacher Wrote:Currently I teach myself with MP3 files and just using language immersion, but when I move in two weeks, my new employer offers classes so we shall see. My current employer is a unique company in the sense that there are two different sets of management and the two staff teams never cross that line. If you are a Chinese staff member than you have a completely different set of rules and boss than someone like me who is American. So even though my branch manager is Chinese, she is not my boss. My manager is the Director of Studies (American) and I rarely ever see him. His boss is the Director of Foreign Affairs (Canadian) and that is the highest boss that exists for those of us that are not Chinese. We only see the DOFA at formal events and even then it is limited. He mainly deals with visa questions and concerns and his wife (Chinese) works in the office and handles the payroll and visa papers, but she does not work for him since she is Chinese. We have Chinese teaching aides who report to the Chinese branch manager who reports to a head boss in some office that we have never seen. The only person above that is the owner who is the wife of the Chief of Police for the whole city (hence why we are rarely under the spotlight).

And i am going into management...i think i might not know who my boss will be lol... anyway i don;t think in tourism there is such a big deal with bosses... Still have to lean german and another language...thinking of russian vs italian ( russian has 75%)

ESLteacher Wrote:Currently I teach myself with MP3 files and just using language immersion, but when I move in two weeks, my new employer offers classes so we shall see. My current employer is a unique company in the sense that there are two different sets of management and the two staff teams never cross that line. If you are a Chinese staff member than you have a completely different set of rules and boss than someone like me who is American. So even though my branch manager is Chinese, she is not my boss. My manager is the Director of Studies (American) and I rarely ever see him. His boss is the Director of Foreign Affairs (Canadian) and that is the highest boss that exists for those of us that are not Chinese. We only see the DOFA at formal events and even then it is limited. He mainly deals with visa questions and concerns and his wife (Chinese) works in the office and handles the payroll and visa papers, but she does not work for him since she is Chinese. We have Chinese teaching aides who report to the Chinese branch manager who reports to a head boss in some office that we have never seen. The only person above that is the owner who is the wife of the Chief of Police for the whole city (hence why we are rarely under the spotlight).

Thanks for the great details. It all sounds so ideal. I suppose that makes up for the plated penis!!!! How was that btw? What have you disliked versus what have you liked the most? How do you create a life for yourself outside work with the culture transition, etc.? Are there rules about social interactions, engaging with native chinese, religious or secular rules that are difficult or helpful? Sorry to be so inquisitive but most of the other stuff here seems pale in comparison. Remybussi
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

mihai Wrote:And i am going into management...i think i might not know who my boss will be lol... anyway i don;t think in tourism there is such a big deal with bosses... Still have to lean german and another language...thinking of russian vs italian ( russian has 75%)

Mihai, what will you be doing in tourism? This sounds like it might be a great opportunity for you to meet more interesting people your age!! Hope so!

You strike me as the type of person who could never settle down with someone & put down roots. You need constant & never ending change in your life to be happy.

Just keep in mind that the more changes it takes in your life to make you happy, the more often you will need those changes & then one day you may discover what you are most tired of is the constant change.

Have fun with it while you can

BigCub Wrote:You strike me as the type of person who could never settle down with someone & put down roots. You need constant & never ending change in your life to be happy.

Just keep in mind that the more changes it takes in your life to make you happy, the more often you will need those changes & then one day you may discover what you are most tired of is the constant change.

Have fun with it while you can

I have to politely and slightly disagree with you BigCub though I think I understand why you call it that way. I think ESL has enough insight to take advantage of his talents, harness his energy in a positive direction and build on a great career foundation. Having the courage to take the risks he has is impressive to me. Yet, I can't help but wonder if the angle you talk about might be worth ESL's consideration because there are three sides to every story and then the truth. I hope he'll take advantage of your feedback accordingly!Smile

CCRox Wrote:I have to politely and slightly disagree with you BigCub though I think I understand why you call it that way. I think ESL has enough insight to take advantage of his talents, harness his energy in a positive direction and build on a great career foundation. Having the courage to take the risks he has is impressive to me. Yet, I can't help but wonder if the angle you talk about might be worth ESL's consideration because there are three sides to every story and then the truth. I hope he'll take advantage of your feedback accordingly!Smile

I'm rereading the post BigCub and I wonder if you were thinking you were posting in a different thread? Not sure...just asking...

As for religion, there is no official religion here in China and majority of people are not religious, just spiritual with old world belief systems of burning carboard iPads so that their deceased loved ones will have entertainment in the after life.

As for my personal life, my work has no control over that. They only forbid me from having any other work, even private one on one lessons that are not organized through them. Other than that I meet people at all sorts of places here. My current city, Harbin, is a mix of Russians and Chinese so the balance is interesting. Outside of Beijing and Shanghai caucasians are looked very highly upon and everyone wants to be associated with one somehow, you are their local celebrity. You will pose for many photos on a daily basis, you will be asked out on many dates from both men and women, and you will be asked to speak at many functions such as business functions, birthdays, and weddings. Being caucasian here opens a lot of doors, I just so happen to have blue eyes so that has opened even more doors for me when I "accidently" stare into shop owners eyes as I bargain with them. Quite often, one way or another, I get my way. Many Chinese people want to be as white as they can so they use skin whiteners and they find it insulting if someone says that they have dark skin (I had one girl actually cry when another girl in class told her that she had black skin, she actually asked me to kick her out of the classroom). KFC is a HUGEEEEEEEEEEE deal here, they worship it for some weird reason (and Haagan Dazs ice cream). It is not cheap however, for a party I bought a bucket of chicken and it was 76RMB. I also bought a pint of Haagan Dazs for each attendee and each one was 112RMB. At Starbucks, a venti iced caramel machiatto here costs 36RMB. So as you can see, American companies are popular here, but you have to have the money to enjoy the "luxury". Apple products are ridiculously popular here!!! Every corner you turn you see another apple knockoff of some sort, it is endless. High fashion is very popular here, but majority of people can not afford it so the black market goes nuts with knock offs of those items too. Don't get me wrong, we have a huge mall here in Harbin with just high end fashion retail, but it is usually only visited by older high end women in fur coats and large diamond rings sporting the latest LV handbag, of course this is after she parks her BMW.