Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work place homophobia
stu Wrote:I agree that to do nothing is probably best but if someone had descibed a footballer as a "nigger" then I suspect most peoples answers would be different.
Of course, but this is a bit like trying to get an Equity card. We have a way to go before "faggot" is as overwhelmingly recognised as offensive a term as "nigger". We have had anti-racist legislation in place for a lot longer than we have anti-homophobic legislation. Workplace policies have had time to bed down and seep deeper into the collective consciousness. I think, we'll get there eventually, but it is a far slower process, especially while organs of the establishment, such as the churches, think it is okay to keep spouting their bile. :mad:

Thanks for all the responses.

For the moment I'm letting it pass. I will keep a copy of the email just in case. If it happens again I'll reconsider what I should do depending on the context.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

First of all, was company email used to distribute this photo? If so, it's probably a violation of company policy to use company property and resources to distribute something like this. You can ignore this for now but keep my comment above in mind. If something like this happens again, talk to your boss and say you were offended and that company resources shouldn't be used this way.

LiZaRD_PlaNET Wrote:First of all, was company email used to distribute this photo? If so, it's probably a violation of company policy to use company property and resources to distribute something like this. You can ignore this for now but keep my comment above in mind. If something like this happens again, talk to your boss and say you were offended and that company resources shouldn't be used this way.

Yes, but the sender is on the board... so he is in that wonderfully hypocritical position that board members are in. They can dictate policy for everyone else yet not follow it themselves. That is quite common in my company.

colinmackay Wrote:Yes, but the sender is on the board... so he is in that wonderfully hypocritical position that board members are in. They can dictate policy for everyone else yet not follow it themselves. That is quite common in my company.

Ah yes, board members. Our own CEO reports to the board, but the board members aren't accountable to anyone.

i remember a time when here in our office, a memo concerning tardiness was circulated and as they were conducting a study about it, they found out that majority of the senior managers are the very ones guilty of coming late to the office... talk about live by example.

marshlander Wrote:Of course, but this is a bit like trying to get an Equity card. We have a way to go before "faggot" is as overwhelmingly recognised as offensive a term as "nigger". We have had anti-racist legislation in place for a lot longer than we have anti-homophobic legislation. Workplace policies have had time to bed down and seep deeper into the collective consciousness. I think, we'll get there eventually, but it is a far slower process, especially while organs of the establishment, such as the churches, think it is okay to keep spouting their bile. :mad:
... and there's plenty of that!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Don't fight over it. It's not worth it. Show them that you're the bigger person. Besides, if you can't laugh at yourself, you can't laugh at anyone else. ^^

yup... best advise is, don't get affected. that's it.

I think him being one of the bosses changers this, but it really comes down to how it made you feel,keeping the email is something you need to do.