Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work stuff, maybe sexism.
Ok, I have a situation that is pretty much specific to the military, but has parallels.

We have something called EPR. once a year they grade you based on your performance, a maximum of 5. Im due for mine, and I have just been told I will probably get a 4. Doesnt seem too bad at first, but its pretty shitty.

Its supposed to be fair, but everyone gets a 5. There was one person who was being really shady and playing favorites, it got so bad that he was sent to a different section, like being transferred to a different store. He got a 4.

Im a hard worker, and arrogant as it may sound, Im damn good. I have found problems that the craftsmen couldnt find, and Im only an apprentice. there is a female there who always has some theory, and it is always wrong, and a female sergeant who backs her up and groups me with the fuck ups.

The reason I enlisted was so that I could become an officer, but with a 4 on an EPR, I will never get it.

for comparison, imagine you are one of the best performers at school, and your principle/headmaster decides he will personally grade everyone as he sees fit. everyone else gets a 100% except the people who do really bad, like light a classroom on fire. and he gives you an 80% instead.

Do I seem to be in the wrong here? He has no complaints about me, just thinks that Im not beiing competitive enough. I do almost all the work on my shift, i dont know how to be more competitive...

Also, I cant quit so... fuck

Back when he was living, my grandfather used to say, "He that tooteth not his own horn, the same shall not be tooted." You have to make it look like you are trying hard even when you find it easy. This is important because if people think that what you do is easy for you then they will not respect what you do. BUT, if you make what you do look difficult (especially when it's easy) then people will respect what you do a LOT more.

Here's a BIG secret:
As a magician, it is my job to entertain the crowd. But I must have their respect too. So, whatever I do, I make the hard stuff look easy and the easy stuff look hard. It always amazes the crowd. When you try it, you might be amazed at their responses to you too. This really gains respect.

So PRETEND to sweat the small stuff AND pretend the hard stuff is a piece of cake. Got it?

All my best,
KnightShade

Start being more competative then.
Do things faster and better than all the others.
If you still get a 4 then its obviously not you.

Is there not a way to appeal against the score?

I already do things faster and better. Sadly I didn't have the foresight to be born with a vagina. Just last week I troubleshot a jet to wires between 2 parts. She said it was a part so they ordered a brand new one. She was wrong. I was right. She was praised for it and I didn't even get a good job for it.

I can't act....

I'm afraid Knightshade is probably right, unfair as it may seem. I'm a musician, but I undertake a lot of project work in schools. Occasionally I'm in a school when that school is having an inspection. Having (many years ago in a previous life ... in a galaxy far, far away?) inspected schools as part of an OFSTED team I make a point of managing any inspection of my sessions by preparing the right documentary evidence and pointing out what is supposed to be obvious to the inspector, but probably isn't. It has always helped the school's results ... although these days I don't think the arts are an inspection priority.

rakmatis Wrote:I already do things faster and better. Sadly I didn't have the foresight to be born with a vagina. Just last week I troubleshot a jet to wires between 2 parts. She said it was a part so they ordered a brand new one. She was wrong. I was right. She was praised for it and I didn't even get a good job for it.

I can't act....

Make a point of it to your interviewer that you don't feel you are bring fairly judged and make positive statements such as " the people around me are great but I see them making mistakes which I catch etc or something along those lines.
Or simply asking how you can do better. Play their game

yea, im going to start pulling my supervisor aside and asking whats going on. I should have finished my training months ago but they keep putting it off. Im fully proficient, they just dont want to do the paperwork, and everyone knows how much the government likes its paperwork.

Is there anything you can do? Appeal? Transfer units?

I have had similar unfair situations, but on a smaller scale and it's hasn't affected any promotion status or anything. In college though, I definitely had a couple unfair situations... I was lowered a grade for missing classes even though I was on a student activities trip for most absences; and in one college-wide class taught by different professors, I got a B due to having a tough professor when others I was definitely smarter than got A's from easy professors. Sadly, life isn't fair... but despite these setbacks, I still worked hard in the classes I could and did still end up graduating with honors.

I hope you can figure out something that works for you. I would advise against letting your frustration show, as it'll probably only hurt your case, but keep doing a good job as you can. If you can appeal or transfer or whatever, perhaps those are options. Anyone in the army you can talk to, without creating a stir or 'tattletale' reputation, just to see if they have advice more suited for your specific situation?

EDIT: Just saw you posted again about talking to your supervisor. Good luck