Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World AIDS Day
This was a few days ago. I thought I'd do my usual stint in my classes, just to remind the young ones about this scourge. I couldn't find anything in the news bulletins of the BBC that day... Rather strange feeling, then with the Midnight news edition this:
A team out in Botswana (researchers from Oxford University) found after a study that HIV, the virus that causes AIDS was being watered down by its need to replicate and it having to mutate to do so in human body cells.
The announcement was that AIDS would probably one day be harmless (goodness knows when that will be). However the research doctor interview did warn that the virus was still dangerous and contagious.
30 years after the crisis struck hard, are we seeing the end of a scourge at last, despite not finding any medicine or vaccine to counter it?
I don't know whether to believe it or doubt it.
Your thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04stdyq The report is around 12'. There's a lot of "if"s in the report, though.

I read something similar in the past few days.

I attended an event sponsored by our state's largest (I think) HIV/AIDS support organization, where there were two blocks of the Quilt on display.

The concern voiced by leaders was around the fact that research continues to be focused on men despite women, particularly women of color, being a rapidly-growing segment among new infections. They still trail gay men, which is disconcerting given that we have a reasonably good idea of how to protect one another. I feel that the nonchalance is fueled by the way meds are marketed, which suggest that HIV is an easily-managed condition. But that's just me.

a guy had some kind of bone marrow transplant that cured him.

the virus that causes AIDS was being watered down by its need to replicate and it having to mutate to do so in human body cells.
However the research doctor interview did warn that the virus was still dangerous and contagious.

I'll donate to that bone marrow thingy.

But popping 50 pills a day still has to be a hardship, even if they've mastered the doses and people don't get sick from the medication so much anymore. I certainly would not have to do that.

princealbertofb Wrote:But popping 50 pills a day still has to be a hardship, even if they've mastered the doses and people don't get sick from the medication so much anymore. I certainly would not have to do that.

And that assumes you can afford it or have the insurance coverage.

ShiftyNJ Wrote:And that assumes you can afford it or have the insurance coverage.

Yes, it does, Shifty. A total waste of time and money, that is probably avoidable if precautions are taken when they are due.