Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Cup 2010
[Image: 36437_1492743916992_1185845068_1440709_4107225_n.jpg]

I mean its things like this that just annoys me and shows how smug some English people are.

albabonzai Wrote:[Image: 36437_1492743916992_1185845068_1440709_4107225_n.jpg]

I mean its things like this that just annoys me and shows how smug some English people are.

I didn't see that headline, but it would have rubbed me up the wrong way that's for sure. I don't have anything against the English team or fans, but sometime arrogance such as this does make it difficult to be sympathetic when England get knocked out.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

I think you'll find that sort of jingoism irritates many, many English people too. To the best of my knowledge, the Sun does not represent the views of anyone I know. Many of those tabloid headlines were, at best, puerile while some (particularly the ones before the England/Germany game) were downright offensive. Editors, sub-editors and even some reporters can be horribly smug, but don't get confused into thinking that they somehow represent the voice of a nation.

I totally agree with Marshy. Feel free to vent your spleen at the English tabloid press but don't blame the rest of us.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:I totally agree with Marshy. Feel free to vent your spleen at the English tabloid press but don't blame the rest of us.

But i do as i have English relatives and i know hundreds of English folk through work and they are all the same. Its constant and boring how they all talk about Englands footie and other sport teams. They seem to think they are untouchable!

England team has been crap for at least 10 or more years now, we have good players which automatically makes people beleive we have a good team that can win the world cup.

I never thought we would, tis the reason when I was making my bet I didnt choose them. people can say I'm not supporting my countrie, but to me why put money on a team I'm certain will not win it, in order to support my nation. I'll support them as far as they get, but untill they learn how to play together they aint going to win nout!

I kinda feel your lumping all us english fans together =/ although I don't just think its england, I think its International football all together, it has become a lot duller and I look more foward to the champions league final then I do the world cup.

and scotland are getting better, it all depends on their quallfying group, as you can't possibly say scotland would have done worse then south/north korea. etc....

albabonzai Wrote:... i know hundreds of English folk through work and they are all the same ... They seem to think they are untouchable!
Since the evidence seems to be to the contrary maybe their judgement is a little faulty? I too know hundreds of people though work (come to that I think I probably have hundreds of relatives too :eek: ) and although I would not claim to know everyone's views on such matters, those with whom I do discuss such trivia seem to have a reasonably realistic grasp on the matter Wink

I hesitate to suggest this, Bazza, but maybe there's an opportunity on your friends list for a broader range of opinion ... ?

Its funny as only D5 has openly admitted that England were Rubbish everyone else is blaming someone else or brining up Scotland in a talk about the world cup that they are not in......... i rest my case.

I don't there is not too much harm in it; I am not a huge football fan myself, but I think the nature of being a fan is that one does suspend a little disbelief, and let oneself imagine that this time really could be different, and that their team deserve to and should win, and be hopeful that they will win; that they are better than all the other teams, and from that support them passionately... I guess that is part of what makes it fun; I am sure watching a match wouldn't be much fun if you felt really pessimistic. I consider that it is just a little bit of fun, and let people have it; the point where it annoys me is where people forget that and imagine it is something really important. I think that can apply for any team, within any sport, probably.

Well its been a few days and im bored of slagging England Tongue

Now to follow my hopefuls for victory!! COME ON GERMANY!! ( And before u say it i have been supporting them from the start!! )